Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regretting AMEX ...

tag
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Re: Regretting AMEX ...

Just SDd my AMEX Hilton. 4 x denied CLI from them. lol....

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 21 of 26
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@cutemarty1 wrote:

Just SDd my AMEX Hilton. 4 x denied CLI from them. lol....

My DF JUST got her FIRST CLI from Amex since she opened the card in 08'.  From the initial CL of 1k to $3500.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 22 of 26
djrez4
Established Contributor

I don't care for my Gold card, but I like Amex.  Their purchase protection is second to none.  Customer service is good with their offshore reps and excellent with the US -based ones.

In their line of charge cards, the Gold and up offer some nice extras too:  Roadside assistance, the concert pre-sale tickets mentioned above, and more.  Problem is, I have roadside both through my vehicle and my insurance and I don't live in a city where Amex does pre-sale tickets.  The perks of the Gold just aren't worth it for me.  But I'm still keeping my membership with my revolvers.

Oddly enough, they won't CLI me, but they'll keep approving me for new cards.  Go figure.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 23 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The amex zync is really fitting for a relatively small group of consumers. I use mine religiously, and PIF. Love the card. Its probably not the type of card for everyone, but it works for me. Best thing about this card is the low fee. I figured when I applied that $25 was a pretty small fee to get my foot in with Amex and to experiment with the card to see If I liked it. Bottom line is, you paid the fee to try it out, now that you know you don't like it, you should feel free to close it and apply for something different, or just rely on other cards.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 26
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The amex zync is really fitting for a relatively small group of consumers. I use mine religiously, and PIF. Love the card. Its probably not the type of card for everyone, but it works for me. Best thing about this card is the low fee. I figured when I applied that $25 was a pretty small fee to get my foot in with Amex and to experiment with the card to see If I liked it. Bottom line is, you paid the fee to try it out, now that you know you don't like it, you should feel free to close it and apply for something different, or just rely on other cards.

Mine was a PRG downgraded to Zync before the annual fee hit.  Am thinking of closing my Zync.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 25 of 26
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

+1. I love my ZYNC. Since I shop in Whole Foods Market alot, I am racking up double point rather quickly with their Eco pack. Charge cards aren't for everyone (I mean, you have to think twice before charging something because everything is due monthly), but it works for some. The Zync was geared for a small population of us younger individuals who do not travel and want a low fee Amex card to get out foot in the door. I have the Zync for the past  three months now, and I have been running my daily expenses through it, and paying in full the next day my cycle closes. I figure this will get me in good favor with Amex. My main goal, however, is to get their BCP. I am aiming for that next September.

The design of the gold/prg is sweet though (at least for me).

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.