Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Regretting apping for Barclay's preselected rewards mastercard offer letter

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@mrlh1980 wrote:

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@DrZoiberg wrote:

@EndlessRoad wrote:

Barclays recon is the best I've dealt with, Chase is horrible in my opinion but everytime I've recon'd Barclay I got something.  Worst thing you'll get is a No, and at least you'll know.

I think Chase is great, and this is coming from recon failures with them. Most say they suck because they don't have the credit to get recon'd. If you can explain and can show your credit is good on paper and not just an algorithm then they will try. 

Really any recon should be a no. They have those algorithm standards so they can prevent future write-offs of bad debt. Being able to circumvent their standards by calling an analyst is crazy in itself. 

I just hate how Chase reps are condesending in their tone.  Yes I had a BK 3+ years ago, I was young and didnt fully understand (or care to) credit, now I do and have learned my lesson, and to be honest the BK was beneficial in the long run.  I didnt burn Chase, and in fact bank with them now (checking & savings).  Discover had no problem approving me for a card starting me a bit lower to see if I could handle it, and now they compliment me and my progress (as well as increasing my limit after 3 months)...thats CS if I've ever seen it. 

And algorithms can only see so much of the story, so recon is a good idea for those willing to do it, sometimes an analyst and human communication is necessary to see the "whole" picture.  I dont mind Chase, just think their CSA's need to show a little respect to their customers.

Okay how can you fault a credit company for protecting themselves from people like you? When you were young you clearly did NOT CARE so you did whatever you did. Now, that your older you have learned but now should be rewarded for the bad you did when you were young and didn't CARE? Ha you have to prove yourself again. They rather did with people who were smart enough to CARE about there future. You have to put yourself in a company shoes to understand if they have 500,000 people like (how you thought when you were younger) where would they be? I for one am not perfect but I knew better to NOT to hurt my credit and tried my best to not go down a bad road. So, if I and several hundred thousands people can do it then you should also. Make no excuses just try not to do bad. I'm sure when you were young you thought you were invisible since you clearly didn't CARE.

First off, thanks dad for the life lesson there.  Second, I have been proving myself for 3+ years; I never knew when I was 18 that credit would be such an important part of everyday life.  I'd hardly say I want to be "rewarded" but given a chance to prove myself is more like it,  hell even just not be treated like a bad person by Chase CSR's.  Congratulations on knowing better than not to hurt your credit, that’s wonderful, but irrelevant to my post.  Also BK isn’t an "excuse" it’s a fact, I messed up and have no problem admitting that but things have changed now and I've been doing extremely well with credit...what’s that old saying, oh yeah better late than never. 

My post was simply to state that Chase had less than stellar CSR, and that Discover had no problem giving me a chance...clearly you had a hard time comprehending that while telling me not to go down a bad road...thanks but I learned that lesson more than 3 years ago pal. 

One of the perverse things about having past credit issues is it distorts the customer-banker relationship.  One of the things I hated most about having my own credit struggles was having to bite my tongue and suck up to rude collectors/CSR/bankers.  I remember one particularly turd who called himself a mortgage broker tssk tssk ing me for my 640 mid score when I was refiniancing my home (FHA) a couple of years ago.  As if he was the one doing me the 'favor' (as opposed to me putting money in his pocket). What I did not realize at the time was there would be have been plenty of brokers happy to have my business.  Now that I have good credit, I don't put up with any of that nonsense.  I don't want to be lectured by a CSR, a banker or anyone else.

I commend you for turning your credit around.  I've never dealt with Chase CSR, so I can't speak to how they treat customers.  However, always rememeber you are the customer, and if you do not feel you're being treated well, ask to speak to a supervisor or send a letter/e-mail.  Companies (even big ones like Chase) do take these complaints seriously.  And if they don't, tell them to take a hike and take your business elsewhere.  That is the BENEFIT of having good credit!

Message 31 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Regretting apping for Barclay's preselected rewards mastercard offer letter

longtimelurker - suspect you are right about recons and the general public. If I didn't read about the many ways to improve my credit on here, I would not know!
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.