Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regretting opening Amex Delta

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Regretting opening Amex Delta

@sisyphus_project wrote:

I just ran an award search from NYC to YYZ on Delta, March 19–23, ± 3 days (that is, all displayed flights within 21 days of departure, and many within 14 days of departure), and out of the 49 departure/return combinations, twelve of them show 25,000 miles round trip, and another twelve of them show 30,000 mile round trip.

I believe what you really mean is that you don't want to pay more than 25,000 miles for a round trip during one of airlines' busiest times. Again, Delta's lack of low-level availability during peak times like spring break is absolutely nothing new.

EDITED: now with less snark!

This

Message 21 of 31
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@sisyphus_project wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@sisyphus_project wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@sisyphus_project wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Since it has an AF, then by all means cancel, no point in SDing it.  Amex won't care, and even if they do it's not worth $95 for them to "like" you.

No major changes were announced in the last 2 months to the Skymiles program, what is your issue w Delta?

Took down award chart, restrict low level availability. And most recently, reduce partner's availability. I only app bc of 50k bonus+50$ statement, i think i have AF waive 1st year as well. 

They've restricted low-level availablity for years. 

this is new,no award for within 21 days of departure anymore.i was planning a trip to toronto in springbreak and found out cant find any award.

I just ran an award search from NYC to YYZ on Delta, March 19–23, ± 3 days (that is, all displayed flights within 21 days of departure, and many within 14 days of departure), and out of the 49 departure/return combinations, twelve of them show 25,000 miles round trip, and another twelve of them show 30,000 mile round trip.

I believe what you really mean is that you don't want to pay more than 25,000 miles for a round trip during one of airlines' busiest times. Again, Delta's lack of low-level availability during peak times like spring break is absolutely nothing new.

EDITED: now with less snark!

While I don't agree the most recent Skymiles program changes are a major devaluation (revenue based RDM's is a huge deval for me personally), Delta's low to mid award availability has seemed to have gotten significantly worse over the last couple of years. I am sitting on a ton of Skymiles because I have been unable to find flights where awards are even a moderate value. I'm not referring to peak travel season either, or particularly inflexible dates. Where there have been low to mid flights that show available they either turn out to be not really available or are poor quality flights with multiple stops or particularly long, vacation wasting layovers. 

I'm in complete agreement that finding low-level award tickets isn't easy, and hasn't been for years. Everything you said is, in my view, absolutely correct (except the change to revenue-based RDM's, as I have a tendency to purchase first-class flights—the joys of being 6'5"). I've been able to piece together great trips on Delta, but it's often taken a lot of time with Medallion Services. (I did, however, manage to fly transpacific international first class, thanks to Delta.)

The OP, however, just got his/her card. Other than perhaps the disappearance of the award table, which I generally think is much ado about nothing, nothing has changed in the last two months to warrant OP's sudden Delta fury. My point with the award query I ran is that OP's contention that there are no low-level tickets within 21 days is patently false, as my own search revealed numerous ones. I'm not sure where OP lives, which could change the amount of miles required, but any lack of low-level availability within 21 days isn't due to a blanket 21-day ban, like OP intimated.

Agree ... There have been plenty of reasons for Delta fury in the past, but none since the OP got the card, IMO. That's why my suggestion was just to close the card. Using awards effectively takes lots of patience and a glass half full outlook. My impression was the OP is lacking in that department. 

Revenue based RDM was a boon for lots of people. I have coworkers that take lots of expensive short flights, and they are earning significantly more RDM's. I on the other hand tend to take long, cheap flights, so I'm losing out with the change. 

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen the term "ED" a few times, what does that mean?
Message 23 of 31
bigbang91
Established Contributor

These are the changes that i weren't aware of b4 applying:

1.redemption table dissappear 

2.i fly mostly with delta's partner, AF+KE, and werent aware of earning devaluation 

3.now i know the fact that Delta will make whatever neg changes they like, with no announcement at all like others data or a delay period. 

So, thats why i dont want to accumulate any more skymile, incase delta decide to devaluete it more

Message 24 of 31
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

2.i fly mostly with delta's partner, AF+KE, and werent aware of earning devaluation 

3.now i know the fact that Delta will make whatever neg changes they like, with no announcement at all like others data or a delay period. 

So, thats why i dont want to accumulate any more skymile, incase delta decide to devaluete it more

All I can say, bigbang, is buckle up baby. Times are a changing and devaluations are inevitable.

I am curious, though, what AF and KE mean. And why are you so attached to a redemption table when you can log on and search directly?

Announcements have been forthcoming for almost a year that things were changing. So, again, I'm a little unclear what #3 means.

Message 25 of 31
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

All I can say, bigbang, is buckle up baby. Times are a changing and devaluations are inevitable.

I am curious, though, what AF and KE mean. And why are you so attached to a redemption table when you can log on and search directly?

Announcements have been forthcoming for almost a year that things were changing. So, again, I'm a little unclear what #3 means.

Af=airfrance, ke=korean airline. I mean with others airline, if they plan a neg changes, they announced it, and allow a delay period b4 new rules take effect. But with delta, they changed without inform you and no delay period

Message 26 of 31
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've seen the term "ED" a few times, what does that mean?

it may refer to the amex everyday card, which is the only Travel rewards earning card that has no AF. On side note ED and all other MR based cards can transfer to Delta.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 31
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I don't know if it was just me but finding delta availability can be difficult to popular destinations like Hawaii. I was looking at availablity to maui on delta, but would be going through KE. KE was having deal where it was hawaii was considered part of contienental US so would be only 25k from JFK to Maui which isn't an bad deal. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 28 of 31
sisyphus_project
New Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

1.redemption table dissappear  Again, this is a kurfuffle over nothing. I have yet to read any reason why I should care that Delta removed the redemption chart.

2.i fly mostly with delta's partner, AF+KE, and werent aware of earning devaluation These were released no later than December 5, 2014, which I believe was before you got your card, especially if you mean KL instead of KE. If you mean KE, then Delta has been awarding scant miles for a long while.

3.now i know the fact that Delta will make whatever neg changes they like, with no announcement at all like others data or a delay period. Delta has been changing its program for years. Nothing they've done the past few mont

So, thats why i dont want to accumulate any more skymile, incase delta decide to devaluete it more As has every other airline, basically.

I'm not saying your reasons for not being happy with Delta aren't valid. But your tacit implication that Delta suddenly sprung most of these changes on you after you got your card is false. 

Message 29 of 31
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@sisyphus_project wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

1.redemption table dissappear  Again, this is a kurfuffle over nothing. I have yet to read any reason why I should care that Delta removed the redemption chart.

2.i fly mostly with delta's partner, AF+KE, and werent aware of earning devaluation These were released no later than December 5, 2014, which I believe was before you got your card, especially if you mean KL instead of KE. If you mean KE, then Delta has been awarding scant miles for a long while.

3.now i know the fact that Delta will make whatever neg changes they like, with no announcement at all like others data or a delay period. Delta has been changing its program for years. Nothing they've done the past few mont

So, thats why i dont want to accumulate any more skymile, incase delta decide to devaluete it more As has every other airline, basically.

I'm not saying your reasons for not being happy with Delta aren't valid. But your tacit implication that Delta suddenly sprung most of these changes on you after you got your card is false. 

That's why i said i weren't aware of those changes b4 applying, and regret my decision now, so i dont want to accumulate mile that devaluate steadily. Out of all major airline's loyalty program now, Skymiles is the least valuable 

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.