hoodun

Rejected from Citibank Card from bad account history in 1994

I was rejected from a citibank card because I had a bad account history with them in 1994. The account was three month past due and going into collections when I paid it off in full. It was my first card in college. I ssumed this would go away after 7 years?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Rejected from Citibank Card from bad account history in 1994

Sorry to hear that :smileysad:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Regular Contributor
WolfMan

It may fall off your credit report in 7 years, but the individual banks can keep their own records on past accounts. 

MyFico Scores 8/2013: EX:702 EQ:724 TU:730 -- 2009: I had BAD credit. -- PIF Weekly!
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

WolfMan wrote:

It may fall off your credit report in 7 years, but the individual banks can keep their own records on past accounts. 

+1. You may be blacklisted.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Valued Contributor
FinStar

hoodun wrote:

I was rejected from a citibank card because I had a bad account history with them in 1994. The account was three month past due and going into collections when I paid it off in full. It was my first card in college. I ssumed this would go away after 7 years?

Citi, like BofA or Chase (and some other lenders), can be quirky with the "blacklist" process for having the long memory effect.  Even if the TL is completely gone from your CBR, they still keep a record of the negative TL - for how long?  No one knows for sure.  However, in a variety of situations, folks have reported that they are still on the "blacklist" while others have been able to successfully re-establish their relationship with the lender.  Everyone's experience will differ.

Valued Contributor
indiolatino61

hoodun wrote:

It comes off your CR in 7 years, but some banks have a longer memory...like Amex for example.

photo Logo-CreditCardCollection-DataInclusive_zpsf395b751.jpg
Frequent Contributor
Cleanmachine

Suggest you call them and request re-consideration.

Regular Contributor
Tommy5746

Unfortunately my friend, that’s the dreaded black list.. However, some people who have been "blacklisted" are able to eventually get on in with the CC company with some perseverance.. maybe even a GW letter stating your case? It only helps!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
phillyguy12

hang in there, i don't think citi has anything you can't get else where, if you look around on this site there are a few topics about black lisiting, but look on the bright side since they rejected based on past history w/ them it likely didn't generate a hard pull. at least that was the case for me w/ chase i had a charge off that went to collections that i eventaully paid and they rejected me last yr and i got a letter saying somethng to the effect they rejected because of past neg account history with them and no credit report was obtained in this decision. it actually just aged off my report last month i may try again next yr sometime but i aint hopeful. i burned citi and chase, paid them off in full eventaully but it will likely haunt me for awhile.  since i started rebuilding i was able to get american express, barclays and discover

Amx BCE-9000,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-5600
Credit Union Visa-1200
Discover-1900, Khols-1000
hoodun

[ Edited ]

Doesnt look like they did a hard pull.

I already have a 3k card with Bank of America, a 2500 with Discover, and a 2500 with cap1, so I am not too concerned. It just seems ludicrous to me that they would remember a low limit card from twenty years ago and still use it against me. Especially when I walked into the bank and paid in full after missing three months. ...I was a college kid. My score is now 724, I have perfect payment history, and 19% utilization. 

Anyway, at least they did not do a hard pull. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}