cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember Kids, we have to watch out for our parents...

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Remember Kids, we have to watch out for our parents...

Decided to pop in and visit my Mum, since my hon had school/work going on, into the weekend....then we started talking bills, and primarily CCs.

Well, after some coaxing, she decided to drag out some bills (senior citizen that still uses postal to pay), and showed me her current APRs, and balances...

WOW....

She had some penalty APRs going on, from when my father passed, and she had problems keeping up, until her head cleared, but needless to say, two of her cards nailed her with the 29.99 garbage, and still haven't lowered it back since '11. BOA, and Cap.

I pulled her reports, and told her some options, and she was definitley "lost," so I had to push her to trust me. I then took out a calculator, and showed her what she'd save over the course of a "no fee/no interest for 15" BT. That changed her mind quick. 

Now she's in process for a slate, with a decent limit, and the best APR, post introductory rate.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Remember Kids, we have to watch out for our parents...

Congratulations to your Mom! It was really good of you to sit down with her and try to work those out! I know it isn't an easy conversation to have, especially with one's parents, but it can sure help them a lot in the long run.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Good job! I miss my mom and dad every day! I only wish I had been more like you when they were alive. Thanks so much for sharing!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

What a Suze moment, that's great that you were able to talk about it and help her out... sorry for the loss of your father though.

Message 4 of 12
OneDay_750
Frequent Contributor

This is inspiring! Thank you for sharing.

CURRENT SCORES: EQ: 628 (12/14/14); TU: 628 (12/10/14); EX: 636 (12/13/14)--All myFICO
STARTING myFICO EQ SCORE:: 507 (11/2013); GOAL SCORE: 700--(All CRAs); GARDENING SINCE: 10/5/14
Message 5 of 12
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Good job! My parents used to be bad at understanding financial stuff too but one of my aunts straightened them out. Thank goodness for today's technology, I found myfico forums, and you guys straightened me out, lol.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 6 of 12
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

WTG, great job on helping your mom!  Your MyFICO expertise did some work and i'm glad you were able to help your DM out Smiley Wink 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 12
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Nice.

I'm kind of the opposite with my mom, I have high APR's attempting to lower them down and she has a 6% APR BoA card... =/!

Message 8 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

What a blessing you are to your Mum!  Your knowledge of credit put to good use!

This also should serve as a reminder to all of us with parents getting older, to not be afraid to talk to them about all things financial.  I never talked to either of my parents about their finances prior to them passing, although I knew that my Dad was a good planner.  My brother served as executor of their estate and Dad did indeed plan well for my mom, as us siblings got a rather nice inheritance.  My brother frequently talked to Dad about their finances, and presumably assisted him as he became more challenged to manage his own financial affairs.  I think it's our responsibilty as good children to look after the needs of our parents as they get older.   They took care of us when we were young, our turn to take care of them...willingly!

Message 9 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good job.

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Decided to pop in and visit my Mum, since my hon had school/work going on, into the weekend....then we started talking bills, and primarily CCs.

Well, after some coaxing, she decided to drag out some bills (senior citizen that still uses postal to pay), and showed me her current APRs, and balances...

WOW....

She had some penalty APRs going on, from when my father passed, and she had problems keeping up, until her head cleared, but needless to say, two of her cards nailed her with the 29.99 garbage, and still haven't lowered it back since '11. BOA, and Cap.

I pulled her reports, and told her some options, and she was definitley "lost," so I had to push her to trust me. I then took out a calculator, and showed her what she'd save over the course of a "no fee/no interest for 15" BT. That changed her mind quick. 

Now she's in process for a slate, with a decent limit, and the best APR, post introductory rate.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.