cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

Time has truly changed. I remember the days when have a gold or platinum card was a big deal. I'm not that old but in the late 90's and even early 2000's, it was a big deal to even have a gold card.

Noawadays, having a Platinum card is not a big deal nevermind a gold card. Seems like the new thing is Visa Signature or World MC.

Even the Signatures and World MC's are slowly fading in their 'power'.

The next evolution seems to be the WE Mastercards or the Signature Prestige or Executive. I wonder what the next step will be in the next 5 years.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Re: Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

@CS800 wrote:

Time has truly changed. I remember the days when have a gold or platinum card was a big deal. I'm not that old but in the late 90's and even early 2000's, it was a big deal to even have a gold card.

Noawadays, having a Platinum card is not a big deal nevermind a gold card. Seems like the new thing is Visa Signature or World MC.

The next evolution seems to be the WE Mastercards or the Signature Prestige or Executive. I wonder what the next step will be in the next 5 years.

Black cards used to be a big deal too.. Not many cards were black and when they were it usually meant "Important, VIP, BIG CL".. Now, orchard bank cards are black Smiley Happy

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

Huh there's a signature prestige or executive tier now?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

Times have certainly changed haven't they?   Some issuers (FirstUSA and MBNA to name a few) even marketed the Titanium product during the 90's but never caught on with the associated perks/prestige.

Message 4 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Huh there's a signature prestige or executive tier now?

There are some higher tiers of VISA/MC and AMEX. I was thinking more in the line of the Prestige CITI or the Merrill Lynch Accodales I think it's called (the black card). For the MC, I think the World Elite is the highest.

Message 5 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I think lenders should raise the credit limit for Visa Signature and World Mastercard. Visa and Mastercard have the minimum at 5,000, but that doesn't meant lenders can't set their own minimum to maybe 15,000 or 25,000. 5,000 isn't that hard to obtain and raising the limit would make it more "elite" in a sense.

Message 6 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

Snakeskin finish.

Message 7 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

I wonder how the lenders make any money (apart from interest) if Signature cards are not used in a certain spending pattern?

Signature cards provide a lot of perks and lenders still have to pay to get these perks to their customers. Almost seems like there should be a $$ amount for spending on a signature or world or WE card to justify offering the perks.

Message 8 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I wonder how the lenders make any money (apart from interest) if Signature cards are not used in a certain spending pattern?

Signature cards provide a lot of perks and lenders still have to pay to get these perks to their customers. Almost seems like there should be a $$ amount for spending on a signature or world or WE card to justify offering the perks.

That's a good idea too. It would probably cause me to lose one or two Visa Signatures, but oh well. Most things get diluted sooner or later unfortunately.

Message 9 of 22
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

That's a good idea too. It would probably cause me to lose one or two Visa Signatures, but oh well. Most things get diluted sooner or later unfortunately.

I think merchants have higher swipe fees for higher tier cards. There has to be some reason I have a $1800 CL Visa Signature. . .

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.