cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Time has truly changed. I remember the days when have a gold or platinum card was a big deal. I'm not that old but in the late 90's and even early 2000's, it was a big deal to even have a gold card.

Noawadays, having a Platinum card is not a big deal nevermind a gold card. Seems like the new thing is Visa Signature or World MC.

Even the Signatures and World MC's are slowly fading in their 'power'.

The next evolution seems to be the WE Mastercards or the Signature Prestige or Executive. I wonder what the next step will be in the next 5 years.

Black cards used to be a big deal too.. Not many cards were black and when they were it usually meant "Important, VIP, BIG CL".. Now, orchard bank cards are black Smiley Happy

And their black card is called the "Platinum" Smiley Frustrated

First Premier Titanium

AF: $400

Monthly payment fee: $100

CL: $500

Message 21 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Remember the days when 'Platinum' was a big deal?

I made a post in another thread, but this is why colour alone isn't enough for exclusivity. Any lender can make a card black (or platinum or any other colour they feel like).

However I doubt CapOne, FP or any other lender will be willing to fork out the cost to create a completely metal card like the centurion or palladium. The cost is simply too high and therefore will exclude people who aren't worthy in the bank's eyes.

Quasi-metal cards like the CSP don't count in this example as they are still relatively cheap to produce.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.