Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove AU Tradeline

tag
thebusymind
New Contributor

Remove AU Tradeline

Hey Friends,

So about 8 months ago, I was in the process of rebuilding my credit.  A close friend of mine added me to his Capital One as an AU.  It worked as advertised, and brought my score up dramatically.  However, now I that I got the baddies off my report, I asked him to remove me as an AU.  He did, but now several months later, my credit is still showing this AU tradeline.  Has anyone had any experience about this? What can I do to remove it?

Thanks in advance,

TBM

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Remove AU Tradeline

You need to contact the CRA 's and have yourself removed. If you are no longer an AU, the history from the last month you were should still report. Is there any reasons why you don't want it too?
Message 2 of 19
thebusymind
New Contributor

I'm just afraid my friend will make a stupid mistake and mess with my credit.

I actually just looked, and it stopped reporting updated information in April. If he defaults or makes a late payement after he's taken me off the account, will it still show up on my credit?  If not, then I guess theres no reason to leave a good looking tradeline on my report Smiley Tongue.

Message 3 of 19
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@thebusymind wrote:

Hey Friends,

So about 8 months ago, I was in the process of rebuilding my credit.  A close friend of mine added me to his Capital One as an AU.  It worked as advertised, and brought my score up dramatically.  However, now I that I got the baddies off my report, I asked him to remove me as an AU.  He did, but now several months later, my credit is still showing this AU tradeline.  Has anyone had any experience about this? What can I do to remove it?

Thanks in advance,

TBM

I had the same thing happen to me with my husband. After I asked him to remove me, I was still seeing the acct months later on my reports. I wanted out as an AU because I was already acquiring CCs. What I did was I went on each of my credit reports and disputed the account and chose the option that this acct was not mine. Once I did that, I received the confirmation (from all three at different time frames) that the tradeline was removed from my report as they were not able to verify that this acct was mine once they contacted the lender. Its really as simple as that! Try it

Current Score: TU 671 / EQ 675 / EX 682
Goal Score: 700 Club Across the board!

Message 4 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I believe it stays on there as a closed account just as if it was your own account.

Message 5 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@thebusymind wrote:

Has anyone had any experience about this? What can I do to remove it?

Dispute with the CRA's (for both questions above).

Message 6 of 19
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I have heard it's possible to get TL removed when disputed as 'Not my account' since creditor will confirm with CRA you're not currently on the account.

Being a Capital One TL, it's highly unlikey this TL is signficantly helping your AAoA or utilization like a 25K TL with 25 year history would. Probably best to see if it can be removed now for peace of mind instead of having to look over your shoulder for the next 10 years!

Message 7 of 19
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

I believe it stays on there as a closed account just as if it was your own account.

It shouldn't if the primary acct holder removes you from the acct. Remember, an AU is not responsible for an acct, they only have the rights to purchase and thats all. If the OP is removed from the acct and disputes with all the bureaus, they will have to remove it because they won't be able to verify that he/she was on there.

Current Score: TU 671 / EQ 675 / EX 682
Goal Score: 700 Club Across the board!

Message 8 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@jennylocha wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

It shouldn't if the primary acct holder removes you from the acct. Remember, an AU is not responsible for an acct, they only have the rights to purchase and thats all. If the OP is removed from the acct and disputes with all the bureaus, they will have to remove it because they won't be able to verify that he/she was on there.

Ok, I only say that because I still have an account listed on my report that I haven't been an AU on for 8 years.

Message 9 of 19
thebusymind
New Contributor

Did you ever try to dispute it with the CRAs?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.