cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing CC Inquiries?

tag
Nord

Removing CC Inquiries?

I just pulled my annual free credit report from Equifax (New Year's resolution is to clean up my credit), and I have 2 inquiries on there from J.Crew/Comenity Bank (formerly WFNNB), one from 10/18/11 and one from 11/16/12. I know that whenever I ask for CLIs, I always confirm first that the inquiry will be a soft pull. I can't imagine why those 2 inquiries would be there except that they did hard pulls rather than soft pulls. Any chance that I might be able to get Comenity Bank to remove those 2 inquiries, and if so, how?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Removing CC Inquiries?

Only way I can think of is to contact the OC, explain your case and ask them to remove the hard INQs. Do not dispute the INQs with the CRAs since that can cause issues such as flagging your account due to fraud. Look for an address for the OC and send in a GW letter would be my suggestion. Good luck.

Message 2 of 6
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Datx wrote:

Only way I can think of is to contact the OC, explain your case and ask them to remove the hard INQs. Do not dispute the INQs with the CRAs since that can cause issues such as flagging your account due to fraud. Look for an address for the OC and send in a GW letter would be my suggestion. Good luck.

Agreed... However just keep this in mind for the future. The front line CSRs aren't always the most knowledgeable. 

Message 3 of 6
Nord

Thanks, Datx. Some questions: Would it be faster to call? (Of course, that would require knowing a backdoor number, perhaps ...) Also, how exactly does flagging an account harm me?

Message 4 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Technically they had "Permissible Purpose," even if you didn't tell them they could pull, or if they told you it would be soft. Since you have an acct w/them, they can do a HP on your CR. Not fair, but true.

The CRAs will not dispute inquiries. They will only dispute info rec'd from creditors (e.g. balances, collections, etc.) They will not remove an inquiry on your say - ever - period. Again, not fair, but true.

The only way to have it removed is for the OC to tell the CRA to remove it. And IME, it's an uphill battle. There's no # on the Backdoor sticky for WFNNB/Com. Here's a webpage I found with contact info: http://www.bessed.com/wfnnb/ There's also a link on that page to their FB page, which may be helpful, since it's bad publicity for them.

One of the links on that page is also for their BBB listing. You may want to file a complaint with them. I had an erroneous CA put on my CR from a JDB and the BBB got it off for me. That will most likely get the attn of the exec office/ people in a position of power who will hopefully want to rectify the situation (and also avoid a negative BBB rating).

Good luck! Smiley Happy

FYI: Here are common abbreviations on the forum: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Technically they had "Permissible Purpose," even if you didn't tell them they could pull, or if they told you it would be soft. Since you have an acct w/them, they can do a HP on your CR. Not fair, but true.

The CRAs will not dispute inquiries. They will only dispute info rec'd from creditors (e.g. balances, collections, etc.) They will not remove an inquiry on your say - ever - period. Again, not fair, but true.

The only way to have it removed is for the OC to tell the CRA to remove it. And IME, it's an uphill battle. There's no # on the Backdoor sticky for WFNNB/Com. Here's a webpage I found with contact info: http://www.bessed.com/wfnnb/ There's also a link on that page to their FB page, which may be helpful, since it's bad publicity for them.

One of the links on that page is also for their BBB listing. You may want to file a complaint with them. I had an erroneous CA put on my CR from a JDB and the BBB got it off for me. That will most likely get the attn of the exec office/ people in a position of power who will hopefully want to rectify the situation (and also avoid a negative BBB rating).

Good luck! Smiley Happy

FYI: Here are common abbreviations on the forum: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

+1.  In my opinion, if you want to take a crack at it, go ahead, but don't devote too much time to this.  It's really not worth it.  While the inquiry will remain on your report for two years, it is only scored by FICO for the first year.  Unless they agree to remove it right away, by the time you finish fighting with them, it will hardly be affecting your score anyway.

ETA:  Just noticed that one of the inquiries is from late 2011.  That one isn't affecting your score anymore.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.