Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing deceased husband from CC account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing deceased husband from CC account

It seems the only way to remove my deceased husband's name from my CC account (joint) is for me to close my long-standing account and open a new one, thus affecting my good credit score.  This does not seem reasonable to me at all -- sure, it's a joint account, and in other cases, such as divorce, it might make sense to close the account and open a new one, but if the joint account-holder is deceased and there is a death certificate to prove it, it seems an unreasonable requirement.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
REgnlor
Regular Contributor

Re: Removing deceased husband from CC account

Sorry for your loss memdane but I agree with your assessment.  No way would I close a long-standing account and open a brand new one in order to have his name removed. Keep the history and your scores intact.

Starting Score:EQ 560t> TU 560EXP 570
Current Score:EQ 674t> TU 697EXP 700
Goal Score:EQ 700> TU 700EXP 700>

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Memdane and welcome to the forums and sorry for your lost.

I would definitely keep the account open. Do not lose the history and available credit with the card.

There is no need to close the account.

And thank you for venting, we all need it sometimes

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Let me echo the others and say I'm sorry for your loss as well.

We've had other members who were able to have the deceased's name removed from accounts. My mother did this as well after my father died.

May I ask which store card this is, and the bank behind it?
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-02-2009 01:30 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone.  Appreciate the replies.

Haulingthescoreup: It's a U.S. Bank WorldPerks Visa card.  I think I may just need to be a bit more persistent with the next rep and ask for a supervisor -- at least give it a try.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Do you have a brick-and-mortar US Bank in your area? If so, another possibility is to go in and work with a real live human being. Sometimes they know the right number to call.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.