Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing myself as AU on partners card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing myself as AU on partners card

I am an AU on a Bank of America Cash Rewards card.  The card originally had a limit of $9k and was opened last spring.  The card has served its purpose, as I no longer need any help with my utilization.

My thoughts were, remove myself as an AU on this card (also bc it has a 18k limit now and I have my own cards with 15k limits) and then call each bureau to dispute.  Wouldn't this also give me a slight bump to my AAOA?  The card is always PIF'd so I am not worried about that part.  But if there is not going to be any significant boost to my AAOA then I am fine with leaving it.

We also have a joint account, my Amtrak, which is currently in the process of being changed to just me.  I was figuring it would look better to have more credit independence with BOA.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing myself as AU on partners card

I removed myself as an au on my wife's card and vice versa. We have no issues with util like you. My scores are below average and we plan to buy a house in 6-9 months. So I wanted to squeeze every point by optimizing my credit profile, got rid of the AU cards in addition to placing a balance on a single card.
Message 2 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am an AU on a Bank of America Cash Rewards card.  The card originally had a limit of $9k and was opened last spring.  The card has served its purpose, as I no longer need any help with my utilization.

My thoughts were, remove myself as an AU on this card (also bc it has a 18k limit now and I have my own cards with 15k limits) and then call each bureau to dispute.  Wouldn't this also give me a slight bump to my AAOA?  The card is always PIF'd so I am not worried about that part.  But if there is not going to be any significant boost to my AAOA then I am fine with leaving it.

We also have a joint account, my Amtrak, which is currently in the process of being changed to just me.  I was figuring it would look better to have more credit independence with BOA.

Thoughts?

Doesn't AU history disappear from your credit reports when you are no longer an AU? 

I ask because several years ago I was an AU on two of my friend's cards. When I was no longer an AU, both of those accounts disappeared from my reports. Would be nice if they stayed because the accounts are 30+ years old. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts?

Doesn't AU history disappear from your credit reports when you are no longer an AU? 

I ask because several years ago I was an AU on two of my friend's cards. When I was no longer an AU, both of those accounts disappeared from my reports. Would be nice if they stayed because the accounts are 30+ years old. 

I think it depends on the issuer. I have mad mixed results with both being an AU on my fathers account a while back or my wifes account more recently.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you dispute immediately after having yourself removed?  Just let the lender's regular reporting take it's course.  If it still shows up in a couple months down the road THEN dispute.

Message 5 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts?

Is another YMMV situation, there are reports where after being removed as an AU the whole tradeline was removed (as in your case) but there are also reports of the tradeline showing up as closed with the history intact. Think it might also vary with lenders but I haven't seen enough data points to be sure

Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I could be wrong, but not sure if it's going to be worth the headache for the probably minor AAOA gain from one account being gone. If we were talking about five or ten accounts sure it may be worthwhile. But personally I'd just leave this alone. Disputes aren't fun anyway. Give your file some time to settle down.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.