Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Car CC Deposit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rental Car CC Deposit

I have to rent a car this Sat the 12th, which happens to be the same day that my CCC typically reports to the CRA's. I have to use my card for a $250 deposit, which im told is not going to be charged, just a hold put on for that amount. I then plan on paying in cash when i drop it off. So my question is: if CreditOne reports to the CRA's when the hold is placed on my card, will they report as a $250 balance? This is my only card, and i need to keep my util to a minimum, and 250 is my credit limit, so i dont want it to look like my card is maxed out. If anybody knows the answer to this, please let me know, thanksSmiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Rental Car CC Deposit

If I remember, it is a "hold" or "aithorization, so it taken from your available credit but not from yopur account.  But if it is 100% of your limit, that might not be good -
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as the $250 doesn't "post" to your account you should be fine. The CCC will report your balance and credit limit, not holds. Be careful though, I rented a car the other month and used a CC for the hold, but when I returned it,  the person who takes your keys handed me a receipt with the car rental charged to the same card with the hold.  I wanted to pay cash for the rental and just use my card for the hold. 

Message 3 of 8
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Don't let the CC run your life.  They are there for your convenience, not to have them control your spending needs.  That's just my opinion.  Before all this intense FICO nonsense people used the cards as needed, and paid off the balances before they were due.  They didn't worry about utilizations, FICO scores, etc.
Message 4 of 8
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Watchmann wrote:
Don't let the CC run your life.  They are there for your convenience, not to have them control your spending needs.  That's just my opinion.  Before all this intense FICO nonsense people used the cards as needed, and paid off the balances before they were due.  They didn't worry about utilizations, FICO scores, etc.

We did?  Gee, I sure didn't. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 8
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Maybe you didn't.  But I did control my self with credit cards over the last 35 years.  I was never late, no charge offs, no problems.  I only charge what I can afford.  Deep down, I think many of the people here who go ever and ever higher on Credit Line approvals think that those CL's represent some sort of income to be tapped.  It's like increased equity in a home, it makes them feel richer.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:
Maybe you didn't.  But I did control my self with credit cards over the last 35 years.  I was never late, no charge offs, no problems.  I only charge what I can afford.  Deep down, I think many of the people here who go ever and ever higher on Credit Line approvals think that those CL's represent some sort of income to be tapped.  It's like increased equity in a home, it makes them feel richer.

Watchmann, if you are so perfect credit-wise WHY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM? I mean, if you are so against people worrying about their FICO score and you have led such a sanctimonious credit life....why are you here?

Jeez, go tell it on the mountain!

I forgot to add...please stop speaking for "everyone". speak for yourself.

Now go swipe that perfect little Amex of yours where the sun don't shine! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 07-08-2008 01:56 AM

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 07-08-2008 01:58 AM
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Time for this thread to cool down.

It has moved far, far away from OP's original topic, so it is now locked.

photobywes, I hope that you got the answers that you need. If not, please start another thread. That tight timing would make me nervous as well!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.