Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Car Damage Waiver - which one my CC's to use

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rental Car Damage Waiver - which one my CC's to use

I will be renting a car from Enterprise for 3 days next month. I don't have a car insurance policy, so I will either have to buy the Car Damage Waiver from the rental company or go with the one that my CC comes with.

I can choose between Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Sallie Mae World MC, Fidelity Amex or Discover It.

Based on your knowledge/experience, which one is better when it comes to CDW?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rental Car Damage Waiver - which one my CC's to use

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all cards listed are secondary coverage. Amex does sell primary coverage which I would highly recommend.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all cards listed are secondary coverage. Amex does sell primary coverage which I would highly recommend.

It is my understanding that if you don't have an existing auto policy, the secondary coverage that a CC provide becomes a primary coverage.

Message 4 of 13
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is my understanding that if you don't have an existing auto policy, the secondary coverage that a CC provide becomes a primary coverage.

Something that the OP may also want to look into is whether these credit card insurance policies offer liability insurnance also. As the OP claims he doesn't have a car insurance policy IMHO wouldn't they need liability insurance incase he was at fault in an accident?

Message 5 of 13
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I don't think there is a credit card that offers liability insurance, not that I can find anyway.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jim44 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Something that the OP may also want to look into is whether these credit card insurance policies offer liability insurnance also. As the OP claims he doesn't have a car insurance policy IMHO wouldn't they need liability insurance incase he was at fault in an accident?

CC's do not offer liability. However, rental cars come with given state's minimun liability requirements. If a renter desires higher level of coverage, he/she can either purchase the liability from the rental company or get a non-driver auto policty, which is offered by some of the insurance companies.

Message 7 of 13
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Its a flat fee of $24.95

Unless you live in California. For us it's $17.95.

Message 8 of 13
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

What I did when i rented a car for a few days was purchase the liability insurance from the rental company, but refuse the collision (since the CC would cover that). That was my understanding in regards to what I needed to do to protect myself, when I did my research back then. 

In regards to the "primary" coverage offered by Amex, it says right on that page "liability" not included. So I think one needs to either purchase the liability insurance from the rental company, or purchase one of those non-owners plans from insurance company, in order to covered for liability.

Message 9 of 13
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Its a flat fee of $24.95

The original poster does not have any American Express-issued card.

The Visa and the Mastercard would be better options in my opinion since they cover loss-of-use. Discover does not cover loss of use, and I don't know about the Fidelity card.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.