Did you mean: 

Rental Car Damage Waiver - which one my CC's to use

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Rental Car Damage Waiver - which one my CC's to use

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all cards listed are secondary coverage. Amex does sell primary coverage which I would highly recommend.

It is my understanding that if you don't have an existing auto policy, the secondary coverage that a CC provide becomes a primary coverage.

That is correct. and it covers your rental car. however. don't make the mistake to think that covers others. cars , people and property. involved in accident.

it does not matter which card you use. as it is mastercard. and Visa themselves covering the car rental insurance. not your indiviual credit card. or bank.

i also do not have insurance on personal car. as i drive taxi. as name implies. and rent cars all the time.

all of my credit cards become primary since no insurance. but most importantly. use must get supplimental liablity to cover any other vehicles or people in case accident where it is your fault.

good thing. they will not mentioned it unless you ask specifically for it. and another good thing it is very cheap since you are not paying for cdw.

it runs about 8 dollars per day on the car. so if car is cheap not bad to be 100 percent covered in case of accident. this is not hearsay either. simple call enterprise up on the phone and get it from the horses mouth directly.

Message 11 of 13
HiLine
Blogger

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all cards listed are secondary coverage. Amex does sell primary coverage which I would highly recommend.

It is my understanding that if you don't have an existing auto policy, the secondary coverage that a CC provide becomes a primary coverage.

That is correct. and it covers your rental car. however. don't make the mistake to think that covers others. cars , people and property. involved in accident.

it does not matter which card you use. as it is mastercard. and Visa themselves covering the car rental insurance. not your indiviual credit card. or bank.

i also do not have insurance on personal car. as i drive taxi. as name implies. and rent cars all the time.

all of my credit cards become primary since no insurance. but most importantly. use must get supplimental liablity to cover any other vehicles or people in case accident where it is your fault.

good thing. they will not mentioned it unless you ask specifically for it. and another good thing it is very cheap since you are not paying for cdw.

it runs about 8 dollars per day on the car. so if car is cheap not bad to be 100 percent covered in case of accident. this is not hearsay either. simple call enterprise up on the phone and get it from the horses mouth directly.

You were correct on most points. If you don't already have collision insurance, the credit card's coverage becomes primary. But if you don't already have liability coverage, it is highly recommended that you also purchase liability coverage from the rental car company. There are also certain types of coverage that neither the credit card nor the car rental company offers; you can only get them through auto insurance. So people should not let their guard down when renting a car.

What you missed is that it actually matters what cards you use in many cases.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You were correct on most points. If you don't already have collision insurance, the credit card's coverage becomes primary. But if you don't already have liability coverage, it is highly recommended that you also purchase liability coverage from the rental car company. There are also certain types of coverage that neither the credit card nor the car rental company offers; you can only get them through auto insurance. So people should not let their guard down when renting a car.

What you missed is that it actually matters what cards you use in many cases.

You touched a key point with your other post, and that is the loss of use charge. Haven't read through MC policy, but was reading Freedom's today and they do mention loss of use and admin charges. Loss of use is covered if the rental company provides fleet utilization logs, and based on what I have read online, rental companies more often than not, do not provide these logs, as they are not required by law, which leaves the renter on the hook for this specific charge, in addition to loss of value, which is not covered to begin with. 

I will try to connect to claims administrator for Chase and see if I can find out more, but I am leaning towards using my Freedom Sig. card. I have already priced out a non-driver liability policy, and if I don't get that, I will make sure I purchase one from Enterprise.

And to the other poster, to get it straight, NY, the state that I live in, and other states require that rental companies carry liabiity on their cars. The coverage is bare minimum, and should a serious accident occure, ones entire life pretty much will be ruined. So supplemental liability, whichever the source, is highly recommended. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.