cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopen Closed Accounts?

tag
Nord

Reopen Closed Accounts?

Back when I didn't really understand how credit worked, I closed some revolving accounts that I didn't recognize on my credit report. I think these accounts had been opened by my parents.

If these accounts were still open, they would easily be my oldest accounts and would significantly boost my AAoA. Is there any way to reopen these accounts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
b_Rad
Established Member

Re: Reopen Closed Accounts?

You can always call them and ask but chances are if it's been too long since they've been closed they will tell you that you have to reapply.

Starting Score: 583 February 16, 2013
Current Score: EQ 634 April 11 TU 645 (Walmart) April 2013
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challe
Message 2 of 7
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Usually reapply depends though my mom hadn't used her gap visa in over 6 months they reopened. Also nordstrom will reopen as well as macys and bloomies under a certain period of time. Amex will backdate.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

Bank of America reopened my account after almost 2 years.

It was a student platinum plus visa with low CL and high APR so I closed it. Then when they came out with BoA Cash Rewards 123, I asked them to reopen it and switch to 123, and they did it. And eventually the CL increased (but the APR is still high).

I hated BoA for a while, but they are okay in my book now.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 7
Nord

@andre181 wrote:

It was a student platinum plus visa with low CL and high APR so I closed it. Then when they came out with BoA Cash Rewards 123, I asked them to reopen it and switch to 123, and they did it. And eventually the CL increased (but the APR is still high).

That's very interesting and encouraging, as one of the accounts that I'm looking to reopen (probably the only one I can, actually - the other account is with Chase, and from what I've seen on this board, they are not friendly to reopening closed accounts at all) is with Bank of America.

The biggest potential hiccup, though, is that according to my mother, the account was part of a joint account? Which seems odd, since on my credit report the BoA closed account is listed as a "credit card" and an "individual account". In any case, any idea if that might cause any problems?

Message 5 of 7
Nord

@andre181 wrote:

Forgot to ask, do you know if it was a SP or HP when they reopened your account?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

If they reopen it will definitely result in a HP..Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Smiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.