cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening $600 AmEx closed for inactivity in 2009 or applying for new one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reopening $600 AmEx closed for inactivity in 2009 or applying for new one?

@cody205 wrote:

Technically never fell OUT of their good graces, but my credit is not so great anymore, and not sure if they'd take a chance on me now.)

Current Score: EX 561 EQ 512 TU 531 04/04/2015
GOAL Score: 650 by AUG 2015

Even if you hit your Goal score of 650, it is still a bit on the low side for an AMEX.  You should probably wait awhile and take care of your baddies.

I was stupid and repeatedly app'ed and  denied until I hit 680 or so.  I probably had 5 EX inquiries (with 0 approvals) from AMEX alone just because of my stupidity.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, but it seems unlikely that they would reopen the card. You might have more luck reapplying, but it will still be a stretch. 

Message 12 of 17
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

2008? 7 years ago? No way. I asked Amex to reopen one of my accounts once who was a few months closed and they couldn't so don't hold your breath. They will tell you to reapply. 

Message 13 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Take care of those baddies and wait for your scores to come up, no point in wasting a HP if you know you won't get approved for to begin with. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 14 of 17
cody205
Established Member

That's what I thought. I wasn't exactly sure but that's what this forum is for! Smiley Happy

Well, I just opened a $600 credit builder loan for 6 months with Navy Federal so we will see what happens over the next year or two! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EX 452 10/2014
Current Score: EQ 559 TU 551 EX 558 04/15/2015
GOAL Score: 625 by AUG 2015
. . . $600 . . . . . . . $300 . . . . . . . $500 . . .
Message 15 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@cody205 wrote:
That's what I thought. I wasn't exactly sure but that's what this forum is for! Smiley Happy

Well, I just opened a $600 credit builder loan for 6 months with Navy Federal so we will see what happens over the next year or two! Smiley Happy

Hopefully great as long as you take care of it.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 16 of 17
cody205
Established Member

Absolutely. I''ve had a $300 secured card with Wells Fargo wince March of 2014 that has been impeccable. I just increased the WF card to $600, and received a $500 NFCU secured card, and a $300 Capital One card. With the three cards and the two loans(one with Wells Fargo with $4,100 left) managed responsibly, hopefully my scores will go up and I will be the proud new holder of an AmEx again. Unsecured AmEx and Navy Federal are the two I'm really looking forward to. I've heard great things. Too bad AmEx doesn't do the backdating anymore though.

Starting Score: EX 452 10/2014
Current Score: EQ 559 TU 551 EX 558 04/15/2015
GOAL Score: 625 by AUG 2015
. . . $600 . . . . . . . $300 . . . . . . . $500 . . .
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.