cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening Credit Inquiry with American Express

tag
plasticchevy

Reopening Credit Inquiry with American Express

I opened a credit card dispute with American Express about four months ago. We were paying for a service, and the provider did not have the training she claimed. As a result, my wife got a really bad lower back sprain.

Charge was on a square reader for $200. American Express has ruled in her favor twice now. Their responses are form responses, and they apparently don't believe me that it was a fraudulent charge. Instead of requiring that she prove her credentials, they seem to be against me unless I can prove that she wasn't trained as she claimed.

So now we have hundreds in additional chiro charges to fix my wife's sprained back because this provider screwed her up. I just want the money we paid her back, but it doesn't seem like AmEx is even reading the things I'm telling them.

Anyway, should I eat the charge? My question is: will it damage my standing with American Express if I have a dispute reopened 5 times before I get anywhere? They never communicate with me; they just close the dispute with their response. So, the only way to address their response is to reopen the dispute.

Thoughts?

AMEX BC: $22K | Citi DoubleCash: $7500 | Discover IT: $4250 | AMEX SimplyCash: 3K | Chase Freedom: $1600 | USAA MC: $500

TU:757 EX:761 EQ:762

Goal :800
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Reopening Credit Inquiry with American Express

@plasticchevy wrote:

I opened a credit card dispute with American Express about four months ago. We were paying for a service, and the provider did not have the training she claimed. As a result, my wife got a really bad lower back sprain.

Charge was on a square reader for $200. American Express has ruled in her favor twice now. Their responses are form responses, and they apparently don't believe me that it was a fraudulent charge. Instead of requiring that she prove her credentials, they seem to be against me unless I can prove that she wasn't trained as she claimed.

So now we have hundreds in additional chiro charges to fix my wife's sprained back because this provider screwed her up. I just want the money we paid her back, but it doesn't seem like AmEx is even reading the things I'm telling them.

Anyway, should I eat the charge? My question is: will it damage my standing with American Express if I have a dispute reopened 5 times before I get anywhere? They never communicate with me; they just close the dispute with their response. So, the only way to address their response is to reopen the dispute.

Thoughts?

This is probably too complex for an Amex investigation, which is more "Was the product delivered" and/or "Was the product as described".   While it can certainly be considered as the latter, presumably she did the treatment, just did it wrongly because she wasn't qualified.   But do you have any proof of her claims for qualification?

My advice would be to either eat it, or attempt to sue in small claims, for the cost + additional treatment.   But you might need to show that the treatment was inadequate and caused the need for more treatment, which might be too much work.

And I'm assuming that this wasn't stuff that needs to be licensed?  If it is, you can take it up with the regulating authority.

Message 2 of 3
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: Reopening Credit Inquiry with American Express

I think AMEX is trying to tell you that she provided the service as required. You next step if you have a case should be small claims court.

Personally, I wouldn't ruin my relationship with AMEX for $200.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.