Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening a Citi Card

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Reopening a Citi Card

Ok, I know I am obviously spending way too much time on here, haha because I am definitely starting to overthink things, but..

I had a Citi Double Cash card. Opened it back in December. I closed it because I wasn't fond of the 1+1 concept although I usually PIF, but also the APR was ridiculous 22.99 if I did have to carry a balance. I have a Quicksilver for general spend and love it, and wouldn't close it, at least keep it for backup in case Citi does nerf DC, but I am starting to think I should see about reopening the DC to replace my Amazon Visa.

People sing the praises of Chase, but I am not seeing it, other than moving limits around. They flat out refuse to lower my APR, which is 22.99; with Citi I hear you at least have a chance. Also Chase isn't good with CLI's, so I feel like I will be stuck with the same limit forever. The limit is plenty anyway but that's not the point - it's just the fact that they should want to grow with you at some point.

Now, I have two problems. I would have to convince Citi to reopen the account -- it hasn't been closed all too terribly long, maybe three weeks -- and I'd have to see about a lower APR. My score has increased by about 30 points since I got the DC because I paid off my Discover. I am afraid they would want a new HP, but if it wins me a good low APR it may be worth it. The only reason I want to do this is because I feel like Citi is better about giving you a chance with APR reductions and CLI's, if not immediately than eventually. My Amazon Visa does give 2% dining, but DC gives 2% anywhere so the only benefit I am really losing is Amazon rewards which is covered with my Sallie Mae anyway.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I just wait and reapply for DC at some later date?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reopening a Citi Card

@kdm31091 wrote:

Ok, I know I am obviously spending way too much time on here, haha because I am definitely starting to overthink things, but..

I had a Citi Double Cash card. Opened it back in December. I closed it because I wasn't fond of the 1+1 concept although I usually PIF, but also the APR was ridiculous 22.99 if I did have to carry a balance. I have a Quicksilver for general spend and love it, and wouldn't close it, at least keep it for backup in case Citi does nerf DC, but I am starting to think I should see about reopening the DC to replace my Amazon Visa.

People sing the praises of Chase, but I am not seeing it, other than moving limits around. They flat out refuse to lower my APR, which is 22.99; with Citi I hear you at least have a chance. Also Chase isn't good with CLI's, so I feel like I will be stuck with the same limit forever. The limit is plenty anyway but that's not the point - it's just the fact that they should want to grow with you at some point.

Now, I have two problems. I would have to convince Citi to reopen the account -- it hasn't been closed all too terribly long, maybe three weeks -- and I'd have to see about a lower APR. My score has increased by about 30 points since I got the DC because I paid off my Discover. I am afraid they would want a new HP, but if it wins me a good low APR it may be worth it. The only reason I want to do this is because I feel like Citi is better about giving you a chance with APR reductions and CLI's, if not immediately than eventually. My Amazon Visa does give 2% dining, but DC gives 2% anywhere so the only benefit I am really losing is Amazon rewards which is covered with my Sallie Mae anyway.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I just wait and reapply for DC at some later date?

Don't know till ya call.

Message 2 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Should I try the "retention department"? I am no longer technically a customer, but maybe they would want to bring me back? Or should I just try the regular EO?

Message 3 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No dice, they said a) to reopen it it would be a HP, and b) they can't do anything about the APR until the 0% runs out.

Fairly typical answers, but the point is I'm better off reapplying down the line to secure a better APR. I don't want to use a HP to reopen the account unless I know the APR is gonna be lower.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

No dice, they said a) to reopen it it would be a HP, and b) they can't do anything about the APR until the 0% runs out.

Fairly typical answers, but the point is I'm better off reapplying down the line to secure a better APR. I don't want to use a HP to reopen the account unless I know the APR is gonna be lower.

Will they at least let you pick the bureau?

Message 5 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I didn't think to ask about that. My best score is TU and I never hear of Citi pulling them, usually EQ or EX.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I didn't think to ask about that. My best score is TU and I never hear of Citi pulling them, usually EQ or EX.

I'd ask.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

So, what did we learned form this, little grasshopper?  That no matter how complicated your life is, you can complicate it even more, with no problem?  Anything else?

Message 8 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I guess we learned you can not reopen anything with Citi without a HP!

And I learned I am really comitted to gardening, because the minute she said HP I said nope. lol

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

So, what did we learned form this, little grasshopper?  That no matter how complicated your life is, you can complicate it even more, with no problem?  Anything else?

The OP had something of a valid reason for closing the card, It sucks that they want an HP to re-open it.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.