Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening a Citi Card

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Reopening a Citi Card

Looks as though I am just going to keep my lineup the same for now. I still like the Amazon Visa, but I have basically resigned myself that Chase will not lower the APR, even if I keep the card for years. I didn't so much expect them to lower it right away but all anecdotal evidence points to Chase = never lower APRs.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess we learned you can not reopen anything with Citi without a HP!

And I learned I am really comitted to gardening, because the minute she said HP I said nope. lol

Wouldn't you HP yourself?  I would.  Here we have an individual who applies for a card one week, then cancels the card a couple of weeks later.  And now, three weeks after that wants to reopen the card.  Does that sound like the kind of customer banks are looking for?  I would HP you on every bureau to see what's the deal and to punish you for waisting my time... and that is because you got me on a good day....And don't even ask me how little your CL would be...

Message 12 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion, don't say anything at all. Plenty of people on here are similarly "flaky" with their cards, but I don't have to justify my actions to you. I get what you are saying, and Citi obviously agrees with you, which is why I didn't go through with it and decided the most sensible thing is to wait and try again later, either for a new DC or a different card with them (I was also thinking about Diamond Preferred at some point).

Credit is a hobby for some of us. I enjoy learning about the different cards. Sometimes ideas go through my head and I post them out loud or maybe in this case just ask Citi about it. I'm not hurting anyone, and you don't need to act like I'm some crazy idiot that Citi is laughing at right now.

Have a good day, and no I am not the guy who closed all of his cards. I have 6 cards total

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion, don't say anything at all. Plenty of people on here are similarly "flaky" with their cards, but I don't have to justify my actions to you. I get what you are saying, and Citi obviously agrees with you, which is why I didn't go through with it and decided the most sensible thing is to wait and try again later, either for a new DC or a different card with them (I was also thinking about Diamond Preferred at some point).

Credit is a hobby for some of us. I enjoy learning about the different cards. Sometimes ideas go through my head and I post them out loud or maybe in this case just ask Citi about it. I'm not hurting anyone, and you don't need to act like I'm some crazy idiot that Citi is laughing at right now.

Have a good day, and no I am not the guy who closed all of his cards. I have 6 cards total

+1

Message 14 of 19
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Looks as though I am just going to keep my lineup the same for now. I still like the Amazon Visa, but I have basically resigned myself that Chase will not lower the APR, even if I keep the card for years. I didn't so much expect them to lower it right away but all anecdotal evidence points to Chase = never lower APRs.

Yo.

ii told you in another thread, need to give that bad boy 2 years.  They will upgrade to siggy.  The amazon visa is KNOWN for the higher apr cards, I even read the reviews on the amazon site.  I have the lowest offered for a non sig, which is 19.44 (or 19.24, can never remember).  They have since this year upped the limit of apr for the sig, or best scores, to 14.4 from 13.4.  They charge for that reward card.

They WILL lower it,  the first rep I reconned my apr with (until I knew better, too late), said the card was pretty much stuck unless I cancel and re apply (hence later dates planned for more chase cards, so can take advantage of higher scores and move the limits around).  The next two reps DID state it could be changed, but needs to be a visa signature.  As I stated earlier, a couple years with chase, and minimum 5k limit (they are hardcore on that one, unlike other banks), PLUS a score above 800 across the board (or real close with good relationship with chase) will get this version.

everyone here knows the apply for new card, move limits, close cards, re apply game with chase.Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 15 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

So my question is, once I am able to upgrade my Amazon Visa to Signature (in December), does the APR automatically lower at all because it is now a Signature? Or is that not related?

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

So my question is, once I am able to upgrade my Amazon Visa to Signature (in December), does the APR automatically lower at all because it is now a Signature? Or is that not related?

From my owner personal experience in April 2014 and July 2014 no. In my reading it is not showing up as a common activity. Chase told me all the other terms and conditions of my card accounts would remain the same and they did. Who knows, on this forum the unheard is heard of. Chase did auto-adjust my Apr on a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa from 12.9% to 9.9% in 2011 without me asking and it never happened before or since on any of their products for me.

Message 17 of 19
happypill
Valued Contributor

Maybe a good strategy would be to target a non-rewards card with low APR, good BT terms and substantial limit.  That way, if you're ever forced to carry a balance, you could use that card.

A lower APR is always nice, but the cards that offer the best rewards tend to come with higher rates.  That's fine for a certain type of user that has large monthly spends and PIF each month.  Is it worth the effort to get a rewards card down to 17.99% or even 14.99%?  Even if you succeed, it will still be way higher than some CU card where you can get 7.99-9.99%.

Message 18 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You're absolutely right. I will look into either a credit union card next year, or something like Barclay's Ring. Either way, it won't be a regular use card so I don't care if it has rewards, it will just be for a real emergency that I know I won't be able to pay off right away.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.