Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repercussions of carrying a balance on AmEx BCE

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Repercussions of carrying a balance on AmEx BCE

I have always paid my AmEx BCE off in full every month. I would like to carry a balance for a few months. Perhaps paying between $500 and $1,000 out of $2,000 this month. I am on a 0% intro APR still. I do not want to do anything to jeopardize the chances of my 6 month CLI. My question is: How does carrying a balance affect my internal AmEx score and thus my chances for a CLI in a few months. I went from $2k limit to $6k limit at 61 days and I hope to go from $6k to $18k at 61 days + 6 months.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: Repercussions of carrying a balance on AmEx BCE

I have carried a balance for a few months at a time on my Bcp more than once. It has never affected me in any way. I never have done the three times thing, but did take my cl from 10 to 20k at around the one year mark.i think as long as you are not running balances long term up against your total limit, they could care less. Minimum payments on a maxed out card...well different story then.
Message 2 of 4
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Perhaps min payments or maxing out your card might raise concern, i doubt that's enough to cause Amex to take an AA so long as your payments are timely. Prolonged periods of min payments followed by a late payment would be a red flag for sure. but carrying a balance in and of itself is not an issue since they will happily charge you interest.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 4
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Perhaps min payments or maxing out your card might raise concern, i doubt that's enough to cause Amex to take an AA so long as your payments are timely. Prolonged periods of min payments followed by a late payment would be a red flag for sure. but carrying a balance in and of itself is not an issue since they will happily charge you interest.

I agreed.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.