Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace my Zync with?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Replace my Zync with?

I'm looking for suggestions and advice regarding which Amex card I should app for in January.  I plan to take advantage of the backdating and replace my Zync card.  I run between 500 to 1500 a month through it, and always pay it off.  I don't mind an annual fee, as long as it's reasonable and the rewards/benefits are worth it.  A lot of my spending is gas, some travel, grocery, and restaurant.  I don't travel enough to use miles only rewards, and would prefer cash.

Amex online shows a Premier Rewards Gold card when I click on "Additional Cards" with a button that says "Upgrade".  I'm not sure if that means they want to replace my Zync, but nowhere does it say that I'm pre-approved.

It offers no AF the first year, and then 175 per year after that.  I'm not sure I can justify an annual fee that high...  The BCP has a much lower annual fee, and looks like it pays higher points, but it's a revolver.

I'm open to suggestions, and would like to hear your opinions.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Replace my Zync with?

@p- wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions and advice regarding which Amex card I should app for in January.  I plan to take advantage of the backdating and replace my Zync card.  I run between 500 to 1500 a month through it, and always pay it off.  I don't mind an annual fee, as long as it's reasonable and the rewards/benefits are worth it.  A lot of my spending is gas, some travel, grocery, and restaurant.  I don't travel enough to use miles only rewards, and would prefer cash.

Amex online shows a Premier Rewards Gold card when I click on "Additional Cards" with a button that says "Upgrade".  I'm not sure if that means they want to replace my Zync, but nowhere does it say that I'm pre-approved.

It offers no AF the first year, and then 175 per year after that.  I'm not sure I can justify an annual fee that high...  The BCP has a much lower annual fee, and looks like it pays higher points, but it's a revolver.

I'm open to suggestions, and would like to hear your opinions.

I think I would go for the BCE. You get 3% on gas.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 19
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

App for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card (I heard it's the easiest Amex revolver to get) and then PC to a revolver of your choice. Based on what I've read, it's pretty easy to PC from the Delta card to another Amex revolver like the Blue cards for example. That's how I plan to replace my Zync... I plan to replace it with the Blue Cash Everyday card through a Delta Skymiles PC because I've apped directly for the BCE card with no luck.

Although the annual fee is only $25 for the zync, I am wary of keeping any card with a fee. I plan to close my Zync card as soon as I obtain a revolver.

Message 3 of 19
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I wouldn't recommend doing that ^. Amex revolvers all have roughly the same requirements and if you get approved for one, more than likely you will be approved for any of their products, especially if you have some positive history with them. Apply for the card you want and go for it.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 4 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Others have posted about having the "upgrade" link. I think it's just marketing and not necessarily a Zync replacement. According to my call w/Amex, they have no plans on closing the Zync accounts - or converting them to another card. She said that they still have a lot of people w/Amex cards that they no longer offer.

It kind of depends on what rewards you're most interested in and what you usually buy with the card. Amex PRG has nice rewards, but a hefty $175 af. BCE is on my wish list since it has good rewards and no AF. But its approval criteria is higher than the charges.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I wouldn't recommend doing that ^. Amex revolvers all have roughly the same requirements and if you get approved for one, more than likely you will be approved for any of their products, especially if you have some positive history with them. Apply for the card you want and go for it.

Actually no. Some AMEX co-branded cards (Delta, Hilton, and Costco) have easier approval criteria than Blue, BCE, etc. One reason is because co-branded card does not have promotional offer.

Existing history with AMEX matters not. I had Zync for 12 months at one point, and it did nothing to help me get BCE at all (constant denial). I ended up closing the Zync card and apped Hilton AMEX. Instant approved and went ahead PC to BCE.

Message 6 of 19
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

Excellent point trumpet-205. Just as the Zync is the easiest charge card to get, some revolvers are easier to get than others. For people who keep getting constant denials for the BCE card for example, "backdooring" through a PC from a co-branded card such as the Delta or Hilton Amex is a feasible option.
Message 7 of 19
flowfaster
Established Contributor

The choice seems easy to me....BCP/BCE.  BCP if you have a family or the BCE if you are single.   I would keep the Zync too BTW.  You get charge card functionality(NPSL,not a factor in UTIL, earns MRE points) for only $25 a year.   Keep the Zync until a massive sign up bonus for the PRG comes around again and then replace it. The 50k plus 2 years no AF comes to mind.

I got the BCP 4 months after I got the Zync.  I originally applied for both at the same time. I was approved for the Zync and denied(lack of history) for the BCP.  4 months later I was approved for the BCP that I wanted.  Good luck.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 8 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

It allows to pc to another charge card. The next logical choice will be Amex Green.

Ron.

Message 9 of 19
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. The prg really only makes sense if you plan to close it in a year or run 35k or more through it annually. 

2. Why "replace" the zync? Why not add instead? For a low volume spender, it is a much better charge product than the green, gold or plat. You don't plan to convert to ff miles, so mr vs more is meaningless. Once you close the zync, you can never get it back and you can offset the annual fee with a single statement credit offer. Last month, I got $25 statement credit for spending $100 at Costco.com. This offer only appeared on my zync, not hilton or Costco te cards. Boom, AF covered.

3. If you are a Costco member, consider the Costco te Amex. 3% on gas to 4k, 2% on travel/restaurants, 1% all else. Or bce. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.