cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement card for US Bank Cash+ for Restaurant Spending?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Replacement card for US Bank Cash+ for Restaurant Spending?

@wiivile wrote:

This is NOT fantastic:

SxVVpP5C6F7CNsioc.jpg.gif

Message 31 of 40
wiivile
New Contributor

I already wrote to U.S. Bank and complained about them eliminating useful 5% categories and I hope others are doing the same.

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 32 of 40
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

This is NOT fantastic:

I also hate how they divide the categories. i.e. What should just be ONE category they turn into two or three. So instead of just department stores, they have department stores AND "clothing stores"...  So while US Bank provides the illusion of more 'choices' the only thing they are really doing is diluting the categories into ones that you won't be able to benefit from as much. Restaurants and Fastfood (though they were still dividied, which I hated) was one of the last 'catch-all' categories that the Cash+ had. Now it gets to join the Groceries and Gas which are the other catch-alls. 

Very bogus overall. As for alternatives, best you can do is the 3% like AARP. Though it may or may not be worth the app. If you already have CSP, for example, that is probably just fine since if you redeem the UR correctly, it's going to be worth more than just 2% CB anyway. That said, I personally don't think it's worth the annual fee. And when you reduce to just the Chase Sapphire, you lose the ability to transfer points to partners, which is where the real value comes. =/

Message 33 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

This is NOT fantastic:

I also hate how they divide the categories. i.e. What should just be ONE category they turn into two or three. So instead of just department stores, they have department stores AND "clothing stores"...  So while US Bank provides the illusion of more 'choices' the only thing they are really doing is diluting the categories into ones that you won't be able to benefit from as much. Restaurants and Fastfood (though they were still dividied, which I hated) was one of the last 'catch-all' categories that the Cash+ had. Now it gets to join the Groceries and Gas which are the other catch-alls. 

Very bogus overall. As for alternatives, best you can do is the 3% like AARP. Though it may or may not be worth the app. If you already have CSP, for example, that is probably just fine since if you redeem the UR correctly, it's going to be worth more than just 2% CB anyway. That said, I personally don't think it's worth the annual fee. And when you reduce to just the Chase Sapphire, you lose the ability to transfer points to partners, which is where the real value comes. =/

I am actually think i am going to downgrade the CSP to regular CS in april, I can use my Ink Plus as my UR transfer card since i am paying AF already on that lol

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 34 of 40
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Looks like options for dining in 2015 are getting limited.

First, US Bank pulls back the 5% dining.

Second, Discover and Freedom might offer dining bonus in the same quarter. Discover has already announced that it's offering 5% on dining in Q2; last year, Discover was Q1 and Freedom was Q2; combined with Cash+, I could enjoy year round 5% dining. Next year, it's going to be tough. 

If both Discover and Freedom do end up offering 5% dining in the same quarter, now my first card will be Freedom because of points transfer to CSP. 

Similarly, it seems like in Q1, I'll have a gas overkill. Both of them + Sallie Mae will have 5% gas. Need to manage the quarterly bonuses better Smiley Sad

Message 35 of 40
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I'm relieved they are at least keeping Fast Food as a 5% category. This category includes fast-casual restaurants such as Chipotle, Panera, Noodles & Company, coffee chains, etc.

Message 36 of 40
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Similarly, it seems like in Q1, I'll have a gas overkill. Both of them + Sallie Mae will have 5% gas. Need to manage the quarterly bonuses better Smiley Sad

I've seen a few online sites reporting that the Freedom 2015 Quarter 1 categories will be grocery stores, Starbucks, and movie theaters.  No gas for Q1 with Freedom.

Message 37 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

I've seen a few online sites reporting that the Freedom 2015 Quarter 1 categories will be grocery stores, Starbucks, and movie theaters.  No gas for Q1 with Freedom.

I have heard from numerous blogs about same categories. Guess my ink plus will be on gas duty to accumulate UR points , or maybe EDP for some bonus MR points. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

This is NOT fantastic:

I am actually think i am going to downgrade the CSP to regular CS in april, I can use my Ink Plus as my UR transfer card since i am paying AF already on that lol

That was my plan, but the no annual fee sapphire is gone.

Message 39 of 40
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

I have heard from numerous blogs about same categories. Guess my ink plus will be on gas duty to accumulate UR points , or maybe EDP for some bonus MR points. 

Sounds good then. Discover for Q1 gas, Freedom for grocery. Looks like Sallie Mae will be used only at Target / Walmart where Freedom doesn't get bonus.

Cash+ for fast food. CSP for restaurants. 

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.