cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my Barclaycard Apple Financing card?

tag
jritch
New Contributor

Replacing my Barclaycard Apple Financing card?

Hi all

Has anyone had any success replacing a Barclaycard [specifically the Apple Financing Visa] to a different Barclaycard with better benefits/lower APR? The 22.99% is ridiculous and provides me no value anymore.

Last week I applied online for a CLI on my current Apple card from 3.7k to 7.5k. Got the typical ‘we’ll let you know in 24 hours’ and received a call about an hour later from a CSR saying that I was approved. I should have totally thought about replacing the card at that time, but I didn’t and it popped into my head last night.

I’m interested in the Ring card at 8% variable APR. I’m not really interested in benefits as CSP and Amex Platinum serve those functions.

I currently have and outstanding balance of 1.5k left on the card [from a large jewelry purchase] which I intend to pay off in the next 2-3 months.

I’d love to know if it Barclays makes this an easy process. Can I call the backdoor number, apply for that card and transfer the balance and close the Apple card in one fell swoop? Would now be the right time to do it?

Thanks!
J

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Replacing my Barclaycard Apple Financing card?

@jritch wrote:

Hi all

Has anyone had any success replacing a Barclaycard [specifically the Apple Financing Visa] to a different Barclaycard with better benefits/lower APR? The 22.99% is ridiculous and provides me no value anymore.

Last week I applied online for a CLI on my current Apple card from 3.7k to 7.5k. Got the typical ‘we’ll let you know in 24 hours’ and received a call about an hour later from a CSR saying that I was approved. I should have totally thought about replacing the card at that time, but I didn’t and it popped into my head last night.

I’m interested in the Ring card at 8% variable APR. I’m not really interested in benefits as CSP and Amex Platinum serve those functions.

I currently have and outstanding balance of 1.5k left on the card [from a large jewelry purchase] which I intend to pay off in the next 2-3 months.

I’d love to know if it Barclays makes this an easy process. Can I call the backdoor number, apply for that card and transfer the balance and close the Apple card in one fell swoop? Would now be the right time to do it?

Thanks!
J

Barclays usually encourages you to apply for another card separately, then will work with you to transfer limits from other cards etc.  The only way I was able to do a PC was to threaten to close the card.  I didn't have any rewards on my card so they just moved me to a Barclaycard Rewards MC.  Never hurts to call them and explain your situation and what you're thinking.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 13
jritch
New Contributor

Do you think it would be easier if I waited to pay off the balance?

Message 3 of 13
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@jritch wrote:

Do you think it would be easier if I waited to pay off the balance?

Likely...I doubt they'd let you transfer the balance to another Barclays card.

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 13
McArthur
Regular Contributor

The Apple Financing Card is actually a co-branded card and due to agreements with the co-brand partner Barclaycard does not allow a PC.  However, as previously mentioned, an attempt to close the account will get them to bend the rules.  Then again, they just might close it on you.  So tread with caution.

The good news is that they will allow you to shift CL onto another card.  You can app a new card and call in to move your Apple limit over thus closing your Apple card.  They do this all the time.  They will not move your balance, though.  

Message 5 of 13
jritch
New Contributor

Hi all

So I full paid off my Barclay Apple card and have a zero balance. Would the best next step to apply for the Ring card be to call the backdoor number and explain that I would like Ring and ask for the same credit limit as my current card [7500], and close the Apple card? It sounds like Barc doesn't PC. Also, they just pulled by credit report for a CLI on 1/24: TU 779. I assume they would need to do a hard pull for this?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 13
dodgeball
Established Contributor

This is excellent news I have my eye on the Lufthansa card in the next six months or so, I will shift my credit limit over to the Lufthansa card than effectively closing that card.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 7 of 13
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

jritch, I sent you a PM with some details. 

Message 8 of 13
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I got my Apple card first, then my USAir card a few weeks later.  I waited 2 or 3 weeks, called them and asked them if I could transfer the credit line on my Apple card to my USAir card and close the Apple card.  They did it immediately and were very nice and helpful about it.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 9 of 13
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I got my Apple card first, then my USAir card a few weeks later.  I waited 2 or 3 weeks, called them and asked them if I could transfer the credit line on my Apple card to my USAir card and close the Apple card.  They did it immediately and were very nice and helpful about it.

That's pretty good!

Usually they won't allow a direct PC, but maybe things have changed.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.