Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reported High Balance Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reported High Balance Question

@masscredit wrote:

So it doesn't matter if you run that card up to $499. then pay it off before the statement closes at $0.00? It will still show a high balance of $499.

Most time yes, but from my own experience, it really depends on the issuer. At least Citi doesn't report the highest REAL-TIME balance but uses the highest STATEMENT BALANCE for High Balance instead. I once extensively used my Citi Forward card last Thanksgiving and I believe the highest balance almost reached the CL, and yet it's not reflected in the High Balance on my credit report.

HOWEVER, Barclay, BoA and Chase DO record and report the highest REAL-TIME balance. That being said, I'm skeptical if there will be any impact on credit scores brought by the High Balance, since the official FICO algorithm does not seem to take High Balance into account; maybe the credit underwriter might have a different view, but we never know.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.