Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reported High Balance Question

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Reported High Balance Question

When our credit reports show a high balance, is it the high balance when a statement closes or the high balance at anytime and it didn't matter if the card was PIF before the statement closed? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Reported High Balance Question

The high balance has nothing to do with when the statement closed or if you paid in full. It means what it says. The highest amount you ever used on the credit card and left the balance. So if you had 500 card. Used 499 of it. It will show.  But. As you limit grows.  It will not appear you maxed out card. 

Message 2 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

So it doesn't matter if you run that card up to $499. then pay it off before the statement closes at $0.00? It will still show a high balance of $499.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Yes that's correct.
Message 4 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

THe High Balance is the higest you have let a statement cut. If you PIF before statement cuts they neve know you used the card to that balance. I have put 7K on my discover in a month and paid down to 3K at statement cut and it showes the 3k and the high balance.

Message 5 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

I had 300 card before.  I used 268. Which could mean I maxed it out. Even I paid in full.  When they gave me increase to 2 k. It still says high balance 268.  That's the most I ever used at 1 time.  

Message 6 of 11
sean23
Valued Member

I thought it was only what you let report at statement closing, but Capital One Quicksilver One proved me wrong this month. I have never let the card cut withmore than 300 dollars. I will run the card up and pay it down periodically through out the month. This month I again made sure that the card was reporting at $0 Balance when statement cut, but my high balance was changed to reflect 753 dollars when the card reported- despite the fact that balance closed at $0 and I have been $0'ing it out for the past 2 months. 

Message 7 of 11
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Seems mostly statement cut but YMMV. I wonder if capital one just mid cycyle reported your balance which would def set your high balance to its new level. I think if your card dosent midcycle report it wont set high balance until statement cut

Message 8 of 11
sean23
Valued Member

@MidnightJester wrote:

Seems mostly statement cut but YMMV. I wonder if capital one just mid cycyle reported your balance which would def set your high balance to its new level. I think if your card dosent midcycle report it wont set high balance until statement cut

I thought that might be the case, but I update daily and Cap1 didnt show up on report until 2 days after statement cut and "Date Reported" lists the day after statement closing. The tradeline never updated until after the statement had closed. 

Message 9 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

So if it is the high balance when the statement cut, I wonder if it's benefical for me to alternate letting a balance post on different cards once in awhile. If not, lenders might look and think that I have credit, never use it and don't need anymore. Plus it will show that I use it and pay it off. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.