Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Balances

tag
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Reporting Balances

Hi All -

I think I'm really starting to notice the correlation between letting full balances report and credit limit increases.  It seems, atleast in my situation, that the credit cards I've let report full balances have had no issues in generating credit limit increases.  And for those that I've only let a $0 balance report, have been the biggest pain in the ass with trying to generate even so much as a dollar increase.

Has anyone had the same experiences?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Reporting Balances

I've also wondered about this. In my case as well, the ones that report balances give me auto CLIs, namely FNBO, Barclays and Lowes. My CSP is fairly new, so I don't know what Chase will do as I'm letting a small balance report this month.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 7
NoNonsense
Established Member

@Drew wrote:

Hi All -

I think I'm really starting to notice the correlation between letting full balances report and credit limit increases.  It seems, atleast in my situation, that the credit cards I've let report full balances have had no issues in generating credit limit increases.  And for those that I've only let a $0 balance report, have been the biggest pain in the ass with trying to generate even so much as a dollar increase.

That's exactly what I have noticed myself, in my limited experience.  That is why I have been applying the SPREADY strategy that I point out in my "NoNonsense Simulation" thread that I posted this morning.  I would check it out if I were you, you could learn something, I certainly have...

Message 3 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Drew wrote:

Hi All -

Suppose that one person pays their balance before the statement date, and another person pays their balance 15 minutes before the cutoff time on the due date.

I expect there's a correlation between the second behavior and starting to carry a balance in the near future.  In such a case, the CC company will make significant profit from interest.

Message 4 of 7
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@Drew wrote:

Hi All -

I let small balances report (not PIF) on all CC's......get CLI's (for using 'em), so chances are $0 balance don't give you CLI., maybe, just for FICO Scoring....my 2 cents though.

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 5 of 7
Chris679
Established Contributor

Is it possible these CLI are actually due to higher usage of the card? For me the card that reports is almost always the one I am using the most. The cards that report zero are not seeing as much usage.
Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There's really not enough info to conclude on any causality here.  My anecdotal evidence won't really help much either as I don't manage number of reporting balances.  If a card reports 0 it's because I'm not using it and that would probably affect my CLI's to some degree.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.