Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting newbie question.

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Reporting newbie question.

I know that when you apply for a new card its always a hard inq. 

How do you know the difference? 

Are all my inq hard ones? ive never asked for an increase. just got auto on macys. and best buy started with 2000 went down to 1000 and then went up to 2500(auto never initiated them)

And when lines are reported they are reported to all of the CRA? am i correct? 

Trans Union 

GECRB/AE 7/18/2012

Sallie Mae-4/14/2011

Equifax

June 26, 2012Citizensbk
June 15, 2012Citizensbk
February 08, 2012Cabelaswfb
February 02, 2012Cbna

Experian

CHASE
Bank Credit Cards
07/26/2012
CHASE
Bank Credit Cards
02/02/2012
KOHLS/CAPONE
Complete Department Stores
01/04/2012
MACYS/DSNB
Department And Variety Stores -- Non-Specific
12/21/2010
CHASE
Bank Credit Cards
08/23/2010

my walmart card has not hit yet but will eventually.(only store card not credit card)

im obviously gardening for a while now. 

alot of those were poor advice of just applying for a card to get one. 

ive obviously improved since i was denied by chase before and instant approval on 7/26.

the cabelas one im mad about. my best friend must have really high credit. he put down 0 income and got approved for a mastercard with 8k limit. bs i say (no cosigner)

at the time i only had store cards and really wanted one that i could just charge gas too and pay in full. 

im on my road to rebuild now.

what is the correlation between income/credit limits. 

im fine with having one high limit credit card. 

but only got 500 limits.(except store cards) which even those 2 of are only 400. 

Credit as of today. 

1000 limit for anything 

6100 for store specific.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Reporting newbie question.

most big lenders report to all three CRAs, but no lender has to report to any of them.  I have 2 accounts that don't report.

When you pull your credit report on most credit monitoring services, they will show you the hard inquiries, which are the only inqs that matter.   If you pull a report directly from the CRA, it will also show soft inquiries and they will be listed as such.

Most lenders base the limits they give you on your current limits.  Try to build a history with your current cards and then request CLI.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 12
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

There is a huge difference between hard pulls (HP) and soft pulls (SP). HP will cause an INQ to show on your report and therefore lower your score some; these are no longer taken into consideration for scoring after a year. SP do not alter your score whatsoever and are used when you personally look at your scores. Some credit companies, such as Citi, use SP for CLI whereas ones like Chase use a HP. Companies are not required to report to all 3 agencies, although most do. You can see which cards are reporting to which agencies when you pull your FICO. 

Income is used to determine your CL, along with history, in order to show what you can handle. They use it to see the minimum payment you can pay as well as your relative financial standing. Personally, I am unable to get a card above ~$2000 because I am a student making ~$16k a year; there is no reason for me to have a TON of spending power. (Current card limits are also used to determine the limits you can manage) 

Take good care of your current cards and after 6+ months of good payment history, they should begin to grow. 

Edit: auto CLIs are SP only. The examples I used above were regarding customer initiated increases

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 3 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

most big lenders report to all three CRAs, but no lender has to report to any of them.  I have 2 accounts that don't report.

When you pull your credit report on most credit monitoring services, they will show you the hard inquiries, which are the only inqs that matter.   If you pull a report directly from the CRA, it will also show soft inquiries and they will be listed as such.

Most lenders base the limits they give you on your current limits.  Try to build a history with your current cards and then request CLI.

so all of those are hard inquiries then? 

ouch. 

my 2 oldest cards are the best buy and macys and are store cards. the best buy is co signed with my mother who had a bk back in early 2000's 

they are 10/10 and 12/10. and now gardening to get my aaoa up going from 4 cards to 7.  and dropping from 1.9 to .7

luckily i have a perfect payment history =) 

and for in store same day update. 

otherwise i would not. (i did not understand the urgentness of this)

it wasn't that i could not its that i waited. that was dumb. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 4 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Also when opening bank accounts as you see i have to pulls off citizens. 

the first is for checking/saving accounts 

second is for the credit card. 

they can authorize a pull to identify but it does not count for anything besides that. 

ive had my boa account since i turned 17(the day of) 

never went negative balance, and have put quite alot of money through them.... 

if only if only. 

btw im 21 college student. 

no loans. 

23k a year job working at the bank of said inquriy. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 5 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:
so all of those are hard inquries then? 

Yes, unless it specifically states something like 'these inquiries can only be seen by you and do not effect your credit', then you are looking at hard inquiries.

Start gardening; stop applying for new accounts.

Once you build ~6 months history with your new cards you can start requesting CLIs.  You want to request CLI, because your current credit limits have a direct impact on your future approvals.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:

they can authorize a pull to identify but it does not count for anything besides that. 

All the hard inquiries count to some degree, even if you are only moving into a new apartment and they do a hard pull (many landlords do).  Sometimes banks do it to open new non-credit accounts and often credit unions do hard pulls for membership.   These all effect you and I have read about people denied credit for such inquiries.  These types of inquires are easier to explain, however, when requesting a reconsideration.

Message 7 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Also one more thing? when you app how do you know what they pulled? do you get it in the letter? or... 

i know when i looked at my reports but otherwise? 

when i apped for my chase freedom she said that she did not know which one they pull.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 8 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

yes, you will get a letter from the lender that will show where they pulled your information from and what your score is.

But I subscribe to a credit monitoring service that I use to pull my reports frequently, so I usually see the inquiry immediately after someone pulls one of my reprots.

Message 9 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

ok thanks. from what ive read around that you cannot get a ex pull unless its a lender, which im fine with. 

i tried the score advantage on here(trial), but just cancelled it and will probably subscribe when im in my 1-9 percent utiliaztion. 

at the moment im at 11 if you include all my limits. 

before i paid one card down i was at a whopping 67% 

after paying bills tomorrow and my ae card/citizens card 

next weeks check goes to best buy to only leave the amount my sister owes me for her laptop. which will drop me to 4 percent. =)

do you use the one here? i was contemplating the quarterly one. 

credit karma seems dumb to me. 

and apped for the walmart card even though that is tu 08 but should give me a ball park. 

i also have tu updates(just accounts and inquiries) from a work product but i can only update score/accounts once a year (so dumb for 6.99 a month)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.