Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request a higher starting limit?

tag
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Request a higher starting limit?

Just wondering if anyone has had success with requesting a higher starting limit for their Walmart card or their Discover IT? I was approved on Wednesday, and don't want to push my luck, but I was itching for a little higher limit.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Request a higher starting limit?

Call the back door number on each of those, you will have better luck with the walmart card.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@tattooedhusker wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has had success with requesting a higher starting limit for their Walmart card or their Discover IT? I was approved on Wednesday, and don't want to push my luck, but I was itching for a little higher limit.

I applied to Walmart last month and ended up with the ridiculous combo of a Discover card and a $400 limit. I had never reconned anywhere before, but I called the backdoor number listed in the famous MyFico thread and immediately got a bump to $1k. Worth a try. Won't be an HP.

Message 3 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Should have added that I don't hear many stories about Discover (the real Discover, not the Walmart GE one) raising initial limits on recon. Might be better with them just to wait and see what happens after six months.

Message 4 of 8
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

No go on the Walmart card, but I will try a couple more times, I'm just happy to finally have the card. Into the garden I go, for hopefully 7-8 months

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 5 of 8
jacquelinemay9
New Contributor

They should send you a letter letting you know why you were denied. Once you know, you can try to recon again with a response to each reason. I sucessfully reconned my walmart discover from initial CL of $750 to $1500. Good luck and keep us updated!

Message 6 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Discover won't cli until 6 mos.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 8
londonhogfan
Contributor

I call for every card I get approved for.

Bank of America and Walmart Discover are the only two that have actually given me one.

BofA went from 2.5k to 5k and Walmartmart Discover went from 1k to 2k.

Good luck.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.