cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Amex to manually review account - possibly backfiring?

tag
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

Request for Amex to manually review account - possibly backfiring?

I requested a credit line increase on my AMEX Blue card yesterday and was denied.  I felt compelled to ask for increase because the limit is only 1K and doesn't leave much room if I should need to revolve.  Shortly after receiving the news, I found myself asking the credit line dept. For a manual review and will have a decision within 24 hours.  Now I'm dealing with worry of the " what ifs" and "why the **** did I ask for one. Why did it sound like a good idea to have a human closely look at my accounts to see that my utilization is high?  I have plenty of other cards and think my pride gets in the way of wanting all my cards to have high limits.  When are we truly content?  Looking back, I find myself more prone to additional hard inquiries when I spend time on this forum!!  Credit is fun, educational, and useful to me but I allow myself to make impulsive decisions that put my credit at risk.  What if they actual decrease my lines of credit on the other 3 cards?  My utilization is already high, and this would have devastating affects.  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: REQUEST FOR AMEX TO MANUALLY REVIEW ACCOUNT- POSSIBLY BACKFIRING?

Sounds a lot like the old me Smiley Happy

How high is your util?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

I can definitely empathize with you. I almost got my hands burned today by GECRB because of greed. They've been extremely good to me with CLIs but I just couldn't stop myself from calling their backdoor number and requesting even more CLI just a few days after the last one. Well today when I called they locked my accounts and I had to call up their customer service and go through a verification process to get my access restored. It was a little unnerving and it had me thinking that I have to practice more restraint and control this compulsion of mine.

There is nothing wrong with having an aggressive credit growth strategy, but one has to thread carefully as to not overdo it and risk dangerous consequences.

However in your case, I think you might just end up with another rejection and a possible HP from Amex... or they might even approve it (you never know with Amex). I think the issue with people like you and me is that after reading forums like this and playing the credit game for a while, we find it hard to take no for an answer and think we can recon every single thing. Sometimes it's best to let certain things go as pursuing it could bring more trouble than it's worth. For example, I was denied by Barclays for a CLI today. I called again and a second credit analyst also denied me because they said I have too many new accounts and they want to see more history. I decided to give it up because I know was getting nowhere with that and I didn't want to damage my relationship with them.

Message 3 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

I can definitely empathize with you. I almost got my hands burned today by GECRB because of greed. They've been extremely good to me with CLIs but I just couldn't stop myself from calling their backdoor number and requesting even more CLI just a few days after the last one. Well today when I called they locked my accounts and I had to call up their customer service and go through a verification process to get my access restored. It was a little unnerving and it had me thinking that I have to practice more restraint and control this compulsion of mine.

There is nothing wrong with having an aggressive credit growth strategy, but one has to thread carefully as to not overdo it and risk dangerous consequences.

However in your case, I think you might just end up with another rejection and a possible HP from Amex... or they might even approve it (you never know with Amex). I think the issue with people like you and me is that after reading forums like this and playing the credit game for a while, we find it hard to take no for an answer and think we can recon every single thing. Sometimes it's best to let certain things go as pursuing it could bring more trouble than it's worth. For example, I was denied by Barclays for a CLI today. I called again and a second credit analyst also denied me because they said I have too many new accounts and they want to see more history. I decided to give it up because I know was getting nowhere with that and I didn't want to damage my relationship with them.

I'm getting kinda worried about my 8 GE accounts myself. I'm like clockwork requesting CLI's every 4 months and just today seen a new backdoor number im contemplating calling for a Walmart CLI im 14 days away from 4 months............

CONTROL!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 18
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

I think I've hit rock bottom as I just applied for the Walmart card everyone is talking about...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!.......YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR $900...What!? Are you kidding me??? I called and closed it immediately.  The account was open for a total of 4 minutes.  The representative said it will update tonight and I pray it does not show up on my report other than the HP.

Message 5 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@redwalker2929 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

I think I've hit rock bottom as I just applied for the Walmart card everyone is talking about...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!.......YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR $900...What!? Are you kidding me??? I called and closed it immediately.  The account was open for a total of 4 minutes.  The representative said it will update tonight and I pray it does not show up on my report other than the HP.

You have to be willing to accept a low limit card from them initially they grow quickly. Trust me they are a good lender and will take care of you if you take care of them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@redwalker2929 wrote:

You have to be willing to accept a low limit card from them initially they grow quickly. Trust me they are a good lender and will take care of you if you take care of them.

True, especially when you do an application online. I was approved for 1200 with Dillards and less than one month later it is at 10000.

Message 7 of 18
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@redwalker2929 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

You should'nt have cancelled it. Walmart always starts new cardholders with low limits. My Walmart card started with a $400 limit. Today just 2 years later, it is at $7, 000. GE cards grow really fast. My Paypal SmartConnect card, also issued by GE, started at $250, it is now at $10, 000.

Message 8 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@redwalker2929 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

You should'nt have cancelled it. Walmart always starts new cardholders with low limits. My Walmart card started with a $400 limit. Today just 2 years later, it is at $7, 000. GE cards grow really fast. My Paypal SmartConnect card, also issued by GE, started at $250, it is now at $10, 000.

I'm hoping my next round of GE CLI's will be the big boy ones!!! Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 18
RSCo
Established Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@redwalker2929 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Wow, that's great.. Same thing happened to me.. I just opened my a Walmart card back in Oct and they gave me a 600.00 credit limit and then 3 months later they raised it automatically to 900.00..  Not quite the same success story you've seen, but I guess it's in the right direction..  Smiley Happy

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.