Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to unsecure B of A Card DECLINED

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Request to unsecure B of A Card DECLINED

Just wanted to post my experience with B of A secured for those of you that might have one or get one in the future. I noticed quite a few posts with people having success in getting their card to unsecure after having it 8 or 9 months.

I've had my card for 10 months with a $500 limit. I have put through around $19k on the card over that period so an average of $1900 per month. I have always paid it in full and actually had to make several payments each week in order to run 4 times the limit every month.

They pulled TU which according to my denial letter was 668. They denied me for to high balance to credit ratio. My Util is at 27%. My total CL on all my revolving cards is 41k so my reports show around $11k in revolving debt. Around 6k of that is from a Cap 1 AU account which gets paid in full every month but my sister doesn't pay attention to reporting dates so a balance often gets reported. I have a balance of 4k on my Lowes card that is 36 months at 5.99% for a bathroom remodel, should have that mostly paid off by January.

I understand why they denied me but still a little surprised considering my usage, payment patterns as well as my checking and savings that I've had for years which always have around 15k in them.

I should have my Util down to 10% by December , so ill try again at that time.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Request to unsecure B of A Card DECLINED

@IWOL wrote:
Just wanted to post my experience with B of A secured for those of you that might have one or get one in the future. I noticed quite a few posts with people having success in getting their card to unsecure after having it 8 or 9 months.

I've had my card for 10 months with a $500 limit. I have put through around $19k on the card over that period so an average of $1900 per month. I have always paid it in full and actually had to make several payments each week in order to run 4 times the limit every month.

They pulled TU which according to my denial letter was 668. They denied me for to high balance to credit ratio. My Util is at 27%. My total CL on all my revolving cards is 41k so my reports show around $11k in revolving debt. Around 6k of that is from a Cap 1 AU account which gets paid in full every month but my sister doesn't pay attention to reporting dates so a balance often gets reported. I have a balance of 4k on my Lowes card that is 36 months at 5.99% for a bathroom remodel, should have that mostly paid off by January.

I understand why they denied me but still a little surprised considering my usage, payment patterns as well as my checking and savings that I've had for years which always have around 15k in them.

Sorry to hear this 

Get your UTL down and make a plan with sister to coincide the payment on the  AU account and try again

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

Have u tried to contact them via their facebook page?i had alot of success as they unsecured mine after 8 months plus gave me a credit line increase.

Message 3 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Sorry to hear this 

Get your UTL down and make a plan with sister to coincide the payment on the  AU account and try again

+1

Utilization factors can be killer in most cases.  While they can take into consideration your usage and overall relationship, they are also in the business of managing risk.  Sending a FB message or going through the reconsideration channel will not change the original decision since the conditions have not changed for unsecuring.  Once these factors improve, then you can give it another shot down the road.

Message 4 of 13
IWOL
Established Contributor

that seems strange that they would close the card after unsecuring for a few inquiries. I would try to contact thein executive office and see if you can get someone to reverse the decision and reopen the card.

my card was actually unsecured at month 12 and my limit raised from $500 to $1500. I had quite a few me accounts and inquiries when they unsecured it. Are you sure there wasn't some other factor on your report that may have caused them to closs the account. Did you have a balance when they closed it?

Message 5 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@IWOL wrote:

that seems strange that they would close the card after unsecuring for a few inquiries. I would try to contact thein executive office and see if you can get someone to reverse the decision and reopen the card.

my card was actually unsecured at month 12 and my limit raised from $500 to $1500. I had quite a few me accounts and inquiries when they unsecured it. Are you sure there wasn't some other factor on your report that may have caused them to closs the account. Did you have a balance when they closed it?

+1

Inquiries are one of those catchall bugaboo reasons which can't be argued with (or sued over).  I suspect there was likely something else which spooked them as well.

        
Message 6 of 13
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Sorry to hear this 

+1

Utilization factors can be killer in most cases.  While they can take into consideration your usage and overall relationship, they are also in the business of managing risk.  Sending a FB message or going through the reconsideration channel will not change the original decision since the conditions have not changed for unsecuring.  Once these factors improve, then you can give it another shot down the road.

+2

Completely agree.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 13
parkman
Regular Contributor

I was an AU on DW's BofA at one point for AAoA purposes, however, her mom is also an AU and likes to carry a balance, and it was hurting my utilization, so I asked her to remove me. She removed me through online chat, and it only took them a few days to take me off. My credit report says "relationship terminated", which sounds bad, but it's something I can explain during a manual review. 

Anyway, the strange thing is that it still shows on my reports under active accounts, as technically, the account is still active, except that it shows 0 balance, 0 credit line, but I still get the benefit of AAoA. 

The point is that if your sister's utilization is hurting your score, and definitely hurting your utilization, which is hurting you during a manual review, ask to be removed as an AU. The worst that can happen is that it may negatively affect your AAoA, but utilization weighs heavier anyway. 

Just my $0.02. 

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 8 of 13
NoNonsense
Established Member

Re: Request to unsecured B of A Card DECLINED

There is something else that is not being told in this story.  The first red flag is that when your card went unsecured you didn't receive a substantial CLI, we are talking between 2 or 3 times what you had when secured.  That no increase was given is highly unusual.  And then, half a year later they only give you a $500 increase?  Nope, makes no sense in relation to their usual practices.  Something else is going on. 

I just want to point this out for the benefit of those considering which secured card to get.  BoA is the best, IMO, and you shouldn't let a very unusual, and probably factually incomplete, story take you to a really substandard alternative.  There are sub-prime cards out there that are a nightmare, the BoA secured card is one of the good guys.

Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Request to unsecured B of A Card DECLINED

@NoNonsense wrote:

There is something else that is not being told in this story.  The first red flag is that when your card went unsecured you didn't receive a substantial CLI, we are talking between 2 or 3 times what you had when secured.  That no increase was given is highly unusual.  And then, half a year later they only give you a $500 increase?  Nope, makes no sense in relation to their usual practices.  Something else is going on. 

I just want to point this out for the benefit of those considering which secured card to get.  BoA is the best, IMO, and you shouldn't let a very unusual, and probably factually incomplete, story take you to a really substandard alternative.  There are sub-prime cards out there that are a nightmare, the BoA secured card is one of the good guys.

Actually for secured cards over a certain limit (it may be $2k)  BOFA will graduate at the limit.  I've had this happen three seperate times to me personally.

The large pop is usually for the $300-500 range folks as I understand it anecdotally from reading this forum.

That said I agree fully that BOFA is the best secured product around and should be looked at by virtually anyone building or rebuilding.

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.