Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested CLI and received this message

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requested CLI and received this message

I requested a CLI over the weekend online and it told me they would contact me within 6 hours with an answer. I received this email maybe 10 minutes later. "We received your request regarding the credit limit increase. Thank you for contacting us. In order to complete the processing of your credit limit increase, we are required to speak with you directly." Some reason I feel a little nervous about calling. I feel like they will ask questions that I will not know answers to. I have never done anything with credit over the phone before and feel like they will talk me out of increasing. I just want my utilization to go down just a little. Right now it is at 40ish %. Anyone have any tips before I call them?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Requested CLI and received this message

@Anonymous wrote:

I requested a CLI over the weekend online and it told me they would contact me within 6 hours with an answer. I received this email maybe 10 minutes later. "We received your request regarding the credit limit increase. Thank you for contacting us. In order to complete the processing of your credit limit increase, we are required to speak with you directly." Some reason I feel a little nervous about calling. I feel like they will ask questions that I will not know answers to. I have never done anything with credit over the phone before and feel like they will talk me out of increasing. I just want my utilization to go down just a little. Right now it is at 40ish %. Anyone have any tips before I call them?

It would help to know the lender " I only have Care Credit, Victoria's Secret, Fingerhut (never ever used lol), and the Best Buy card,"

But I'm guessing Amex and the call leads to a denial  

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 34
trant3
Established Contributor

What's there to be afraid of? Worst that can happen is income verification, if everything told is true nothing to worry about.
FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 3 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It would help to know the lender 

But I'm guessing Amex and the call leads to a denial 

+1

The only time I've been prompted to call when requesting a CLI was also with Amex, and I learned to not bother as well.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the Citibank Best Buy Mastercard.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and I received a very high instant CLI on the Care Credit a few months ago. So I guess that is why this took me by surprise.

Message 6 of 34
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's the Citibank Best Buy Mastercard.

IIRC they have 2 versions of this card labeled A & B 

One of which never grows sorry to say 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 34
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I think the SP (assuming it was) didn't go through so they want your confirmation to do a HP. 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

The hard pull is already on my credit report.

Message 9 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The hard pull is already on my credit report.

Hmm... that's interesting.  Since there aren't too many data points for this with Citi, the only way to know for sure is probably just to call them up. 

Let us know how it goes!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.