cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

I have applied for Capital One® No Hassle MilesSM Rewards Visa on the phone and I have emphasized that I am only interested in VISA and not MasterCard. I have been approved while on the phone as I was told for VISA. 10 days later I receive Capital One® No Hassle MilesSM Rewards MasterCard. I call Customer Service and talk with manager and she says that I would have to re-apply fro VISA and manager confirms that another credit inquiry would be issued. I cancel the card immediately, but ...

Here's the question:

What are my options to wipe out the card and credit inquiry from the credit reports? I have not authorized inquiry for MasterCard nor I wanted MasterCard in the first place.

Perhaps card should be called Capital One Extra Hassle Card.

Thank you,

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have applied for Capital One® No Hassle MilesSM Rewards Visa on the phone and I have emphasized that I am only interested in VISA and not MasterCard. I have been approved while on the phone as I was told for VISA. 10 days later I receive Capital One® No Hassle MilesSM Rewards MasterCard. I call Customer Service and talk with manager and she says that I would have to re-apply fro VISA and manager confirms that another credit inquiry would be issued. I cancel the card immediately, but ...

Here's the question:

What are my options to wipe out the card and credit inquiry from the credit reports? I have not authorized inquiry for MasterCard nor I wanted MasterCard in the first place.

Thank you,

I would dispute the whole thing...it sounds to me like the Old Bait & Switch tactic, lie to you just to get you to apply, then just push through what they want to give you. Contact the CRA and dispute the inquiry and the account as fraud. Because that's what it was. To bad you don't have them taped....or do you.

Message 2 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

You can certainly try, but I'm not optimistic. An inquiry is a record of your applying for credit. You would have gotten one if you had been completely denied.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Mastercard? I have both, and I can't tell an iota of difference between the two, other than MC has slightly better extra offers.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
You can certainly try, but I'm not optimistic. An inquiry is a record of your applying for credit. You would have gotten one if you had been completely denied.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Mastercard? I have both, and I can't tell an iota of difference between the two, other than MC has slightly better extra offers.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH MASTERCARD?  I'll answer it for him, That's not what he applied for when a person apply's for somethin, they should get that very thing......NOT SOMETHING ELSE.

Message 4 of 33
Scamp
Valued Contributor

74king wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the question:

Thank you,

I would dispute the whole thing...it sounds to me like the Old Bait & Switch tactic, lie to you just to get you to apply, then just push through what they want to give you. Contact the CRA and dispute the inquiry and the account as fraud. Because that's what it was. To bad you don't have them taped....or do you.

Disputing a genuinely-earned inq, especially one that has a corresponding tradeline reporting, is a good way to get nailed with a Fraud Alert on your file, among other very nasty consequences, so I do NOT recommend that.

OP, have you tried any of the Cap1 Backdoor Numbers (link in my signature)?  You might have better luck getting switched to the Visa that way, though I can't guarantee you could get it without another inq.

In your shoes, I'd try some of the backdoor numbers and see if you can get it fixed through them.  Best approach is that of asking them nicely to help you fix this mix-up, FWIW - bees with honey, and all that.  Do let them know there was a mistake made, but put on a please-can-you-help-me tone, not a you-jerks-messed-up tone.

Good luck.  Oh, and the motto of using the BD numbers is if at first you don't succeed, hang up and try again.  Sometimes it takes several tries to get the right person who can and will help you.

(edited to clarify which remarks were responding to which poster in quote)

Message Edited by Scamp on 04-22-2009 08:41 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 5 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

74king wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH MASTERCARD?  I'll answer it for him, That's not what he applied for when a person apply's for somethin, they should get that very thing......NOT SOMETHING ELSE.

I do understand that.

I was asking for a broader reason, why the preference for Visa over MC? I never said there was anything wrong or unjustified about it; I'm merely curious about the preference.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing a genuinely-earned inq, especially one that has a corresponding tradeline reporting, is a good way to get nailed with a Fraud Alert on your file, among other very nasty consequences, so I do NOT recommend that.

OP, have you tried any of the Cap1 Backdoor Numbers (link in my signature)?  You might have better luck getting switched to the Visa that way, though I can't guarantee you could get it without another inq.

In your shoes, I'd try some of the backdoor numbers and see if you can get it fixed through them.  Best approach is that of asking them nicely to help you fix this mix-up, FWIW - bees with honey, and all that.  Do let them know there was a mistake made, but put on a please-can-you-help-me tone, not a you-jerks-messed-up tone.

Good luck.  Oh, and the motto of using the BD numbers is if at first you don't succeed, hang up and try again.  Sometimes it takes several tries to get the right person who can and will help you.

(edited to clarify which remarks were responding to which poster in quote)

Message Edited by Scamp on 04-22-2009 08:41 PM

That's true about the fraud alert, but guess by by law if they place it in there. They have to tell you, and it you want it removeed then it's done. Bottom line. Nothing is final...I've disputed legitimate inquiries and my credit history is fine, scores are fine.

Message 7 of 33
athensguy
Valued Contributor

It will be nice when regulations are in force that allow you to decline a card before activating.
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@athensguy wrote:
It will be nice when regulations are in force that allow you to decline a card before activating.

Their are regulations in place....YOU. Smiley Wink Just don't use the card, don't activate the card when it arrives.

Message 9 of 33
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@athensguy wrote:

Their are regulations in place....YOU. Smiley Wink Just don't use the card, don't activate the card when it arrives.

It still goes on your credit report. After the regulations are in force, you'll be able to decline so that it doesn't report.
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.