cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting APR reductions from these lenders...

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Requesting APR reductions from these lenders...

Capital One

Chase

Discover

U.S. Bank

I didn't get the best terms (lowest APR) when I was approved for their cards, but will they even entertain the possibility of lowering my APR? What does it take to get an APR reduction from any of them in you guys' experience?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: Requesting APR reductions from these lenders...

My initial guess would be "no" and there's another recent thread here asking specifically about Chase, with little to no success reported. 

I would guess you'd have to get a new card to get a better rate. But it probably doesn't hurt to ask, esp. if you're over 18% on any of them. 

(edited to add link to that thread, since threads float and sink with the tides)

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Capital One used to be good with temp APR reductions. wasn't any more, so I closed my Venture Siggy.

Chase, no.

Discover is good with BT offers and temp APR reductions also.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 7
Chris679
Established Contributor

I did the same thing in February.  Cap One would only do a temporary reduction of 3-4%, Chase said no and Discover dropped it around 3%. 

Message 4 of 7
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Chase is going to be a waste of time.  I've had my card for 5 years and the best thing the EO office could tell me was to apply for a new card.

Discover is good about reductions - last year they reduced my APR from 17.99% (got when I opened More card) to 11.99%.

Don't know about the others - good luck!

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 5 of 7
dilettante
Established Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

My initial guess would be "no" and there's another recent thread here asking specifically about Chase, with little to no success reported. 

I would guess you'd have to get a new card to get a better rate. But it probably doesn't hurt to ask, esp. if you're over 18% on any of them. 

(edited to add link to that thread, since threads float and sink with the tides)

I posted on that thread about having had the Chase Freedom at 24.24% and never getting reductions. Since I'm goofing off today, called Chase to ask why so high and what they can do about it. The nice CSR said that a customer cannot initiate reduction and they have no way of manually being able to do it. Only way is if it gets done automatically during usual 6 month account reviews. And that since I PIF all the time, it shouldn't matter to me, (which it doesn't, but wanted to know what could be done).

The funny part of the conversation was that he told me "you have a pretty good rate already" and I said, "24.24% is not what I would call a good rate", then he proceeded to tell me that it was just reduced to 17.24% just recently and is on my new statement. Hahaha, talk about timing. But it took them 15 years to reduce it!

Message 6 of 7
dave024
New Contributor

No luck from me in getting my Chase Freedom APR reduced from 27%. I got the same response as the above poster about a review every six months. My APR was increased to that amount from 20% around 2008.

Oddly enough they do offer me balance transfers. I took their balance transfer check and deposited it in my bank account, and then used it to pay down my balance. That got me a year at 0% interest with a 3% transaction fee. I'll probably do something similar this year as I still have a ways to go to pay back my balance. Chase quickly went from my worst account to one of my better ones.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.