Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Chase CLI on Activation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requesting Chase CLI on Activation

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on requesting a CLI from Chase when activating the card as their approval message says to do if you wish to increase your credit line.

For some background, I am currently an undergraduate in college and am about to receive my third Chase card, but I'm a bit unsure of whether or not I should wait a few months to request a CLI on my new card, request for a CLI on a different card and transfer limits, or just request the CLI on the new card. My three cards from Chase are: the Freedom, which I opened approximately a year ago with a $1200 starting limit which was Auto-CLI to $2400 about 3 months after account opening; the Marriott Rewards, which I opened about a month ago with a $7000 limit; and the Ritz-Carlton Rewards, which I will be receiving in the next few days with a $5000 limit. Also for those who say I should wait a few months before requesting a CLI on anything, would transfering some of the limit from the Marriott Rewards to the Ritz-Carlton Rewards have any effect on requesting a CLI in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Requesting Chase CLI on Activation

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on requesting a CLI from Chase when activating the card as their approval message says to do if you wish to increase your credit line.

For some background, I am currently an undergraduate in college and am about to receive my third Chase card, but I'm a bit unsure of whether or not I should wait a few months to request a CLI on my new card, request for a CLI on a different card and transfer limits, or just request the CLI on the new card. My three cards from Chase are: the Freedom, which I opened approximately a year ago with a $1200 starting limit which was Auto-CLI to $2400 about 3 months after account opening; the Marriott Rewards, which I opened about a month ago with a $7000 limit; and the Ritz-Carlton Rewards, which I will be receiving in the next few days with a $5000 limit. Also for those who say I should wait a few months before requesting a CLI on anything, would transfering some of the limit from the Marriott Rewards to the Ritz-Carlton Rewards have any effect on requesting a CLI in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Curious as to why the Marriott and the Ritz CC?

eta: You might be pushing your internal limit with Chase - Also as been mentioned on another thread, Chase lists that message as SOP. 

Message 2 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

eta: You might be pushing your internal limit with Chase - Also as been mentioned on another thread, Chase lists that message as SOP. 

OP probably wanted both signup offers. There was a very strong ritz offer out there at one point.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 9
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if it will have any effect on requesting future CLI's, but they will likely let you move the limits around (Re-allocate). Most CLI's with Chase will require a HP, even those requested at activation. Chase seems to be a company that has an "internal limit" for customers (the total amount that they will allow you to have, across all cards). It seems that once you get to this limit, they will ask if you want to re-allocate lines, rather than give CLI's or new credit. So I would think asking for a CLI at this time would only affect future increases if you reach their "internal limit" for you.

I got a increase at activation with my recentlry received IHG card. They said it would be a HP, but one never showed up (I suspect only because they double pulled bureaus for the approval in the first place).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Since I was able to apply and be approved for both within 30 days I was eligible for both sign up bonuses (70k on Marriott and 140k on RC) which was the main reason behind getting both. The RC also has a few benefits that are good for my family and I, and the Marriott provides a free night stay once a year as well as elite nights towards lifetime status which is why i ended up getting both.

And the internal limit was something else I am worried about, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it without requesting a CLI on a card.

Message 5 of 9
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

OP probably wanted both signup offers. There was a very strong ritz offer out there at one point.

I thought they had language in their card offers that said if you held the Marriott card, you were ineligible for Ritz Carlton bonus (or maybe it was the other way around)?

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emptypockets wrote:

I am not sure if it will have any effect on requesting future CLI's, but they will likely let you move the limits around (Re-allocate). Most CLI's with Chase will require a HP, even those requested at activation. Chase seems to be a company that has an "internal limit" for customers (the total amount that they will allow you to have, across all cards). It seems that once you get to this limit, they will ask if you want to re-allocate lines, rather than give CLI's or new credit. So I would think asking for a CLI at this time would only affect future increases if you reach their "internal limit" for you.

I got a increase at activation with my recentlry received IHG card. They said it would be a HP, but one never showed up (I suspect only because they double pulled bureaus for the approval in the first place).

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, I'm just not sure if it's better to request the CLI on a different card and then transfer it, rather than requesting it on the RC. 

And in regards to being eligible for both offers, after digging around a bit before I applied it seemed that the terms for whether or not you could receive both or in what order are a bit vague, but one thing I did find out was that everyone who applied and was approved for both within 30 days was able to receive both offers. I also confirmed with multiple CSRs before applying on whether or not I would receive the RC bonus if I applied after already opening a Marriott ~3 weeks earlier.

Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@emptypockets wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I thought they had language in their card offers that said if you held the Marriott card, you were ineligible for Ritz Carlton bonus (or maybe it was the other way around)?

That was my point.  I was under that impression as well since they are the same rewards
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone else have any thoughts to chime in? I've received a notification from UPS that my card will be arriving tomorrow Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.