Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Limit Increase and Credit Inquiries

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Requesting Limit Increase and Credit Inquiries

For two of the three credit cards I have, the issuers (Schools First FCU and Chase) will not increase my credit limit without a hard inquiry into my credit.  I haven't had any inquiries in the past year, so I am wondering if it would be beneficial to go for the inquiry and increase my limit (which would help my overall credit utilization), or if it is better not to take the inquiry hit and just stay with the limit I have now. 

Out of the two cards, one I hardly use at all, and the other I use quite frequently, but never enough to go over 20% utilization.  My other cards carry a $0 balance.  Can anyone offer some insight here as to what would be the best route toward improving my score?  As a caveat, I plan on making a home purchase (thus applying for a mortgage) within a year, so which method will be most beneficial toward qualifying for a mortgage when the time comes?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: Requesting Limit Increase and Credit Inquiries

That all depends.  What are your current credit limits on those cards?  If they are low, I say go for it.

I had a Chase that started off as a $1000 credit limit.  I requested a CLI which required a hard pull, and now it's at $10,000!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.