Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting New 0% Period?

tag
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

Requesting New 0% Period?

I have a medical procedure coming up, which I'd like to out on a rewards credit card. It will be reimbursed by a FSA account, but I want to put it on a 0% card in case the check is delayed.

I have cards from Chase, Amex, Citi, and Discover. Has anyone had success getting a 0% period (fee-free) without getting a new credit card? Any recommendations on how?

I asked Discover, but they said no since I had a APR reduction a few months ago. I wouldn't mind applying for a new card, but I'm trying to wait until I'm past 5/24 so I can apply for the Freedom Unlimited

FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
8 REPLIES 8
crrredit
Established Contributor

Re: Requesting New 0% Period?

Did you get a debit card with your FSA account? 

Message 2 of 9
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:

I have a medical procedure coming up, which I'd like to out on a rewards credit card. It will be reimbursed by a FSA account, but I want to put it on a 0% card in case the check is delayed.

I have cards from Chase, Amex, Citi, and Discover. Has anyone had success getting a 0% period (fee-free) without getting a new credit card? Any recommendations on how?

I asked Discover, but they said no since I had a APR reduction a few months ago. I wouldn't mind applying for a new card, but I'm trying to wait until I'm past 5/24 so I can apply for the Freedom Unlimited

I asked Discover once about lowering my rate and since there was no offer I was given a full year of 0% APR. Not a guarantee but worth a try.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try chase and ask if you're eligible for a 0% promo period.
Message 4 of 9
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

@crrredit wrote:

Did you get a debit card with your FSA account? 

No. My employer is reimbursement only.

FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
Message 5 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Excellent question. I would have thought Discover wood be your best bet, but apparently, you have to be on the right cycle. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Call your creditors and ask.  You'd need to qualify but you won't find out if you do or not unless you call.

Message 7 of 9
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Definitely check with Citi. For me they have a 0% BT offer that once it posts, gives you 0% on new purchases for 1 year. All you have to do is transfer $100, pay a $5 transfer fee, then you get 0% for that purchase. Check with Citi to see if you have that offer available. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 8 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree, checking with Citi may not be a bad idea

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.