Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting lower APR with Discover

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

Requesting lower APR with Discover

In the past, when you want a lower APR, Discover has required that you mail in a card that has your proposed new APR and then it would be approved or not.  Is this still what they do?  Also, is 10.99% the lowest possible APR on the More card?  Just for kicks I would like to try to get my APR to the lowest level (currently it's 11.99% -- by far my lowest CC APR) even though I do PIF every month for all my cards.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Requesting lower APR with Discover

I have successfully gotten my APR lowered twice in the last two yrs, last time, they could either lower my apr or give me 3.9% for 6 months.  I took the 3.9%.

I was able to do it over the phone just chatting with the reps.  I didn't have to mail anything in.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 7
flowfaster
Established Contributor

I wonder if they can do it by online chat... only one way to find out.

How long did you guy have your card before you got the APR lowerd for the first time?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 7
h4ldol
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I have successfully gotten my APR lowered twice in the last two yrs, last time, they could either lower my apr or give me 3.9% for 6 months.  I took the 3.9%.

I was able to do it over the phone just chatting with the reps.  I didn't have to mail anything in.

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad to hear that Discover isn't subjecting their customers to their old shenanigans re: APR reduction requests (the mail in card thing was really ridiculous).

Anyone know if 10.99% is still the lowest APR you can get on the More card?

Message 4 of 7
h4ldol
Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

I wonder if they can do it by online chat... only one way to find out.

How long did you guy have your card before you got the APR lowerd for the first time?

I honestly couldn't say, my Discover card is over 18 years old now so it must have been quite awhile ago...

Message 5 of 7
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@h4ldol wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad to hear that Discover isn't subjecting their customers to their old shenanigans re: APR reduction requests (the mail in card thing was really ridiculous).

i actually never had to do that, every time i requested, they automatically transfer me to utah, and i request over the phone. and i have had my card since sept. 2010

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@h4ldol wrote:

Mine has been at 9.99% for several years now. They lowered it themselves from 13.99%.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.