Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting of increaseing the credit line of limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requesting of increaseing the credit line of limit

If I request to increase the line of credit limit will damage my credit score as inquiry?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requesting of increaseing the credit line of limit

it can cost you some points if they pull a hard inq, some do some don't. at most it's usually only a few points and the increase in utilization may offset the loss of the hard inq. with that in mind it's fico we're talking about so there are no hard rules, so take this advice with a grain of salt.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Little,

Depends on the credit card issuer.  I have a home depot card and asked for a CL, they did a hard inquiry, pissed me off!

AMEX did a soft pull. 

Do a search on the board for the cards you have.  Some people post their info on line if a hard or soft inquiry was posted.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see .... 
I have AMEX Blue (currently does not use that much, if I charge some I pay if of before closeing date to avoid to damage my credit score) and they increased from $400 to $8000 some how without I ask for it.  That was kind of scare me ......  

I have four other credit card ・・・
* ___ Credit Union issued Visa (14.5% charged and not using just paying, 7.9% APR)
* Chase Star Bucks Duetto Visa (31% charged and not using just paying, 11.24% APR)
* Chase Rewards Master (36% of charge is always transfered from ont to another to take advantage of 0%APR for 12 months, average 3% charges monthly for daily purchase and pay off by due date, 0% APR until 03/08 )
* Citi Dividend Platinum (Average 5.5% charges monthly and pay off by due date, 13.24% APR)

I read about 101 and it says keep the balance in between 1%~9%.  Therefore I am thinking to request to increase the limit.   Q. Do you know which one does use soft inq.?  Chase? Citi?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex soft
citi not sure
chase hard
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The best bet would be to just call the credit card company and ask them what their policy is for a potential credit level increase on your account.  You will be surprised how one person it is a soft and for another it could be a hard.

Hopefully they will just do a soft and get you that CLI.

Robo
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.