Reply
New Member
chapmanjw
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-18-2008
0

Required Score for AMEX

Hello,
 
I have applied a few different times in the past for an AMEX card and I am always declined, what score do you need for an AMEX?
 
Thanks
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

[ Edited ]


chapmanjw wrote:
Hello,
 
I have applied a few different times in the past for an AMEX card and I am always declined, what score do you need for an AMEX?
 
Thanks


Welcome to the FICO Forums, chapmanjw.
 
There are so many different Amex cards, and they all have different requirements.
 
Which Amex cards have you applied for?  What were the reasons for denial?  Do you know your EX score?  Any baddies?  If so, what are they and how old are they?  Have you ever had an account with Amex go bad in the past?
 


Message Edited by cheddar on 07-18-2008 01:56 PM
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
New Member
chapmanjw
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-18-2008
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

[ Edited ]
Scores: TU 675, EQ 655, EX 622
 
In the past I have applied for the blue, the green, and the gold.
 
I have no negative history, just some high balances.
 
-John C.


Message Edited by chapmanjw on 07-18-2008 01:59 PM
New Member
chapmanjw
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-18-2008
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

Also, I almost forgot, the most recent attempt was for a Costco AMEX card.
Frequent Contributor
Solarjuju
Posts: 335
Registered: ‎04-04-2008
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

My scores were below 650 when I applied for the AMEX Costco.
I had a CO back in 05, several lates and 1 collections all prior to 2005.
Was approved for Costco AMEX with $2000 CL in February this year.
I think they also factoring in how much you spend at Costco for the approval decision.
Have been Costco member since 1999 & I spend an average of $200 every 2-3 weeks at Costco.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

[ Edited ]

chapmanjw wrote:

Scores: TU 675, EQ 655, EX 622

In the past I have applied for the blue, the green, and the gold.

I have no negative history, just some high balances.

-John C.

In this day and age, high util will kill you for AmEx. They're very wary of being burned.

They do preferentially pull EX, so shining that one up would help.

To have scores that low (relatively) with no baddies, you must have some hellaciously high balances. If you're willing to pay them down, and that is genuinely your only negative, you will not only get a card, but your scores will soar.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-18-2008 04:01 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Member
chapmanjw
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-18-2008
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

Sounds like that is definatly what I need to work on.  I currently have about a 75% util on my revolving credit, pretty bad I know.  But this I have been and am continuing to work on.  What should my util percent be under before trying to reapply?
 
Thanks,
 
John
Frequent Contributor
AlishaR
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎12-23-2007
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX

util makes a HUGE different in ficos.. Went from 87% to 41% and saw a 38 point increase... The "magic" number is >9%
7/3/08- EQ= 642
UTIL=98% (12/07) 87%((4/08)-41%(5/08)-29%(06/08) GOAL- >9% by 12/08
Senior Contributor
Wonderin
Posts: 3,494
Registered: ‎05-25-2008
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX



haulingthescoreup wrote:

chapmanjw wrote:
In this day and age, high util will kill you for AmEx. They're very wary of being burned.

They do preferentially pull EX, so shining that one up would help.

To have scores that low (relatively) with no baddies, you must have some hellaciously high balances. If you're willing to pay them down, and that is genuinely your only negative, you will not only get a card, but your scores will soar.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-18-2008 04:01 PM




Yuck. Not in our case. According to WGMC.com, his EX (about 600 or so) score could have gotten him in with Delta SkyMiles ... but they pulled EQ, his lowest at 578.

We're in Florida, if that makes any difference. :/

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hubby's FICOs when we started: high 400s (June 2008)
Hubby's FICO NOW (04/06/09): TU: 679 EQ: 608 EX: ???
My FICOs: TU: 643, EQ: 606
Closed on new home: 1/20/2009 -- If we can do it, YOU can do it!!

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,562
Registered: ‎08-29-2007
0

Re: Required Score for AMEX



AlishaR wrote:
util makes a HUGE different in ficos.. Went from 87% to 41% and saw a 38 point increase... The "magic" number is >9%

< 9% is what your FICO likes your util at.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}