Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requsting Amex Blue Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requsting Amex Blue Cash

I have had my Amex Blue Card for little less than a month. I was wondering would it be to soon to ask to upgrade up to the Blue Cash. I already have a Amex Gold Premier Rewards card which I also just upgraded from the regular gold card where I am already getting points. I feel that it is not really necessary to have two cards with the same points program. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had my Amex Blue Card for little less than a month. I was wondering would it be to soon to ask to upgrade up to the Blue Cash. I already have a Amex Gold Premier Rewards card which I also just upgraded from the regular gold card where I am already getting points. I feel that it is not really necessary to have two cards with the same points program. 

I don't think it is.  I have product change with AMEX 3 times already.   I started with Blue and then asked for the Blue Cash.  I now have the  Blue Cash Everyday card. 

Message 2 of 10
Indo
New Contributor

I had the regular blue card for 2 weeks before asking for a PC. They'll most likely grant it to you as you aren't PC to a card with an annual fee.

Starting Score: 673 EQ(2014)
Current Score: 784 EQ(2022)
Goal Score: 750+

Current cards: AmEx Gold (NPSL), Discover It ($17,000), Barclaycard Rewards ($15,600), Amazon Prime Rewards ($25,200), Apple Card ($15,500), AmEx Blue Business Plus ($30,000), Rakuten Visa ($8,000), My Best Buy ($15,000)
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 

Message 4 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 

Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 

I dont think its that theyre making exceptions, but rather doing PC on cards with no AF, or downgrading to cards with a lower AF (i.e. Gold to Zync). The Credt Act states you cant increase the fees for cardholders in the first year, or something like that.

Message 6 of 10
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont think its that theyre making exceptions, but rather doing PC on cards with no AF, or downgrading to cards with a lower AF (i.e. Gold to Zync). The Credt Act states you cant increase the fees for cardholders in the first year, or something like that.

Yep

The card act prevents you from upgrading or PC to something with a higher AF. Kind of a dumb rule, and it should be changed to allow customer initiated changes.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep

The card act prevents you from upgrading or PC to something with a higher AF. Kind of a dumb rule, and it should be changed to allow customer initiated changes.

I think this is dependent on the issuer - Amex won't allow you to PC into something that has an annual fee (going from no AF to AF), while Citi will allow you to PC into something that has an annual fee (they recently gave me the option to convert my Diamond Preferred to the Citi AAdvantage Visa (0 AF to $85 AF)).

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the phone rep was wrong. I emailed customer service through the AMEX site and recieved a email stating that I would be able to upgrade to Blue Cash Everyday! also that I will be able to keep my 0% no interest for 12 months. Effective as of June 21 2011, tomorrow. Im excited to get my new card! any pointers or suggestions on how to maximize my benifits of the card? 

Message 9 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess the phone rep was wrong. I emailed customer service through the AMEX site and recieved a email stating that I would be able to upgrade to Blue Cash Everyday! also that I will be able to keep my 0% no interest for 12 months. Effective as of June 21 2011, tomorrow. Im excited to get my new card! any pointers or suggestions on how to maximize my benifits of the card? 

The email Reps are the best.  They may be overseas, but they sure provide better and accurate customer service than those Reps here in the U.S.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.