Reply
Member
iirundis05
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎06-18-2011

Requsting Amex Blue Cash

I have had my Amex Blue Card for little less than a month. I was wondering would it be to soon to ask to upgrade up to the Blue Cash. I already have a Amex Gold Premier Rewards card which I also just upgraded from the regular gold card where I am already getting points. I feel that it is not really necessary to have two cards with the same points program. 

Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,767
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash


iirundis05 wrote:

I have had my Amex Blue Card for little less than a month. I was wondering would it be to soon to ask to upgrade up to the Blue Cash. I already have a Amex Gold Premier Rewards card which I also just upgraded from the regular gold card where I am already getting points. I feel that it is not really necessary to have two cards with the same points program. 



I don't think it is.  I have product change with AMEX 3 times already.   I started with Blue and then asked for the Blue Cash.  I now have the  Blue Cash Everyday card. 

Valued Member
Indo
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎05-21-2011

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash

I had the regular blue card for 2 weeks before asking for a PC. They'll most likely grant it to you as you aren't PC to a card with an annual fee.


Starting Score: 673 EQ(05/20/2014)
Current Score: 707 EQ(06/30/2014)
Goal Score: 730

Current cards: AmEx Everyday ($2,000), Discover It ($3,000), Barclays Sallie Mae ($3,500), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5,000), JP Morgan Ritz Carlton ($5,000)
Member
iirundis05
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎06-18-2011

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 

Established Contributor
UFGuy2006
Posts: 712
Registered: ‎08-02-2008

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash


iirundis05 wrote:

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 


Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 

FICO: EX: 743 (7/14); TU: 774 (7/14); EQ 721 (7/14)

In My Wallet: Amex X 5 | Barclays X 2 | BOA X 1 | CapOne X 3 | Chase X 3 | Citi X 5 | DCU X 1 | Discover X 1| Fidelity X 1 | Fifth Third X 1 | PenFed X 1 | PSECU X 1 | Target RedCard X 1 | USAA X 2 | US Bank X 1 | Walmart X 1 | Wells Fargo X 1

Holding off apps for the next 6 months! Last inq 5/27/2014.
Regular Contributor
networkguy
Posts: 217
Registered: ‎04-17-2007

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash


UFGuy2006 wrote:

iirundis05 wrote:

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 


Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 



I dont think its that theyre making exceptions, but rather doing PC on cards with no AF, or downgrading to cards with a lower AF (i.e. Gold to Zync). The Credt Act states you cant increase the fees for cardholders in the first year, or something like that.

Frequent Contributor
drsmith
Posts: 386
Registered: ‎11-27-2010

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash


networkguy wrote:

UFGuy2006 wrote:

iirundis05 wrote:

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 


Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 



I dont think its that theyre making exceptions, but rather doing PC on cards with no AF, or downgrading to cards with a lower AF (i.e. Gold to Zync). The Credt Act states you cant increase the fees for cardholders in the first year, or something like that.


Yep

 

The card act prevents you from upgrading or PC to something with a higher AF. Kind of a dumb rule, and it should be changed to allow customer initiated changes.


Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 743 2/9/12 TU 734 2/11/12
Goal Score: 750


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
UFGuy2006
Posts: 712
Registered: ‎08-02-2008

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash


drsmith wrote:

networkguy wrote:

UFGuy2006 wrote:

iirundis05 wrote:

I just got off the phone with the representative and I was told that I would have to wait 13 months to upgrade my Blue card because I recently started that card. Anyone else have upgraded before that time? 


Thats interesting - they've been making exceptions for those accounts under 13 months. I'd either call back or submit an email query online to find out if they can PC your account. 



I dont think its that theyre making exceptions, but rather doing PC on cards with no AF, or downgrading to cards with a lower AF (i.e. Gold to Zync). The Credt Act states you cant increase the fees for cardholders in the first year, or something like that.


Yep

 

The card act prevents you from upgrading or PC to something with a higher AF. Kind of a dumb rule, and it should be changed to allow customer initiated changes.


I think this is dependent on the issuer - Amex won't allow you to PC into something that has an annual fee (going from no AF to AF), while Citi will allow you to PC into something that has an annual fee (they recently gave me the option to convert my Diamond Preferred to the Citi AAdvantage Visa (0 AF to $85 AF)).

FICO: EX: 743 (7/14); TU: 774 (7/14); EQ 721 (7/14)

In My Wallet: Amex X 5 | Barclays X 2 | BOA X 1 | CapOne X 3 | Chase X 3 | Citi X 5 | DCU X 1 | Discover X 1| Fidelity X 1 | Fifth Third X 1 | PenFed X 1 | PSECU X 1 | Target RedCard X 1 | USAA X 2 | US Bank X 1 | Walmart X 1 | Wells Fargo X 1

Holding off apps for the next 6 months! Last inq 5/27/2014.
Member
iirundis05
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎06-18-2011

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash

I guess the phone rep was wrong. I emailed customer service through the AMEX site and recieved a email stating that I would be able to upgrade to Blue Cash Everyday! also that I will be able to keep my 0% no interest for 12 months. Effective as of June 21 2011, tomorrow. Im excited to get my new card! any pointers or suggestions on how to maximize my benifits of the card? 

Super Contributor
DI
Posts: 5,767
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

Re: Requsting Amex Blue Cash

 


iirundis05 wrote:

I guess the phone rep was wrong. I emailed customer service through the AMEX site and recieved a email stating that I would be able to upgrade to Blue Cash Everyday! also that I will be able to keep my 0% no interest for 12 months. Effective as of June 21 2011, tomorrow. Im excited to get my new card! any pointers or suggestions on how to maximize my benifits of the card? 


The email Reps are the best.  They may be overseas, but they sure provide better and accurate customer service than those Reps here in the U.S.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+