Valued Contributor

Re: Residual Interest

Simply827 wrote:

ryanbush wrote:

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Isn't there a 25-30 day grace period in which no interest charge? "Float" if you will?

Check your cardmember agreement op!!

NO, if you don't pay your balance in FULL the grace period goes away.  the OP stated he had been carrying a balance.

For example if you had been carrying a balance for say 6 months,  you're statement cuts on the 15th and you PIF on the 25th.  You still owe them for the interest on your balance between the 15th and the 25th.  that interest charge will be on your next statement

Why wouldn't the charge for that interest show up in the "Current Balance" Line? Do they not formally charge it until the next statement cuts?

I'm glad I'm learning about this. I'll be sure to check my accounts even after I PIF.

Credit cards charge you interest based on your average daily balance....

For the sake of explaining lets say you're statement is 20 days, you have a balance of 2k for the first 10 days and you pay 500 of that balance off on day 10 of your statement...  Your average daily balance for that statement would be 1750, they then charge you interest based on a balance of 1750 per day for 20 days (take you're interest rate and divide by 365. this is your daily rate.  Muliply that by 20(statement days) and that is your statement interest rate.)

so for example if you're interest rate was 15% in this case you would owe 14.35 in interest for that 20 day statement period.  they can't calculate this until your statement closes so this is when they charge it to you.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Established Contributor

Re: Residual Interest

ryanbush wrote:

Simply827 wrote:

ryanbush wrote:

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Isn't there a 25-30 day grace period in which no interest charge? "Float" if you will?

Check your cardmember agreement op!!

NO, if you don't pay your balance in FULL the grace period goes away.  the OP stated he had been carrying a balance.

For example if you had been carrying a balance for say 6 months,  you're statement cuts on the 15th and you PIF on the 25th.  You still owe them for the interest on your balance between the 15th and the 25th.  that interest charge will be on your next statement

Why wouldn't the charge for that interest show up in the "Current Balance" Line? Do they not formally charge it until the next statement cuts?

I'm glad I'm learning about this. I'll be sure to check my accounts even after I PIF.

Credit cards charge you interest based on your average daily balance....

For the sake of explaining lets say you're statement is 20 days, you have a balance of 2k for the first 10 days and you pay 500 of that balance off on day 10 of your statement...  Your average daily balance for that statement would be 1750, they then charge you interest based on a balance of 1750 per day for 20 days (take you're interest rate and divide by 365. this is your daily rate.  Muliply that by 20(statement days) and that is your statement interest rate.)

so for example if you're interest rate was 15% in this case you would owe 14.35 in interest for that 20 day statement period.  they can't calculate this until your statement closes so this is when they charge it to you.

Thanks for that explanation

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ04 675 EX04 702 TU08 724
Goal Score: 700+

Amex BCP $12300 | PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | Barclay Ring $6500 | Citi DC $6100 | DCU $5000 | Chase Freedom $4000 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2400 | Cap 1 QS One $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.