Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resistance Met When Requesting CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resistance Met When Requesting CLI

I'm trying to do some debt consolidation.  I'd like to roll the balance from a high interest (20% APR) credit card to a lower interest (<10% APR) card.  I've contacted both Cap 1 and Discover about a CLI that would allow me to do that.  Both have said no due to the high balances across all of my cards. 

My biggest frustration is with Cap 1.  While I love the card and my experience with them, they recently reduced my credit limit by ~$4K.  When I called to question it, they said they were making the credit available to other customers.  They agreed that I had an outstanding payment history and that the balance had definitely gone down.  That's great for their other customers, but not for me...not to mention I'm assuming that had an impact on my util.

I've called multiple times to see if they'd do a CLI solely for the purpose of debt consolidation...NOT to get deeper into debt.  I've been told no, but that they will continue to review my account periodically.

Any suggestions?  I'd really like to get this high interest debt to something lower, so I can pay this stuff off faster.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Resistance Met When Requesting CLI

Just another reason to love Capitol one. Theres some backdoor # that people talk about but I've never tried to use them. I found Cap 1 to be attitudinal and difficult to deal with. They seem very inflexible on their policys also. If you can get another CC somewhere else I'd advise doing so.
Message 2 of 5
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

We have not had cap 1 long, but so far, so good. After 2  months reporting, called and got $300 inc. We are happy with it.

I did hear on the news this morn that they are cancelling cards for no activity tho. Also said citi would be getting harder to deal with also.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RUSTY101 wrote:
We have not had cap 1 long, but so far, so good. After 2 months reporting, called and got $300 inc. We are happy with it.
I did hear on the news this morn that they are cancelling cards for no activity tho. Also said citi would be getting harder to deal with also.

took me 4 years to get that $300
Message 4 of 5
Too_much_debt
Valued Member

$4000, try $10,000.  Calling did nothing.  Talk about a hit to your util....
TU 712; EQ 739; EX 736 -- As of 07/01/2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.