Did you mean: 

Restaurant credit card...

tag
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Re: Restaurant credit card...

@CarbonCard wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got a little over a month with 5% cashback at restuarants with Freedom and Discover.  Then back to 3% on my Sam's Club mastercard and maybe $500 available a quarter for fast food with my Cash+.  Is there a better restaurants card out there -- one that offers 5% all-year?  I know Chase AARP offers 3% as well, but I'm looking for better.  Wish Discover and Freedom chose different quarters to offer the promotion. 

There's the Amex MBZ credit card. It's only 2x on restaurant BUT it also offers 3x on gas.

@Speaking of Amex its Hilton HHonors offers 5x pts on dining, groceries & gas although one must also factor in those points relative to spend @ Hilton properties. The AF version offers 6x pts. per... So basically any Hilton fans may want to take a closer look.

Message 11 of 15
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Existentialist wrote:

@CarbonCard wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got a little over a month with 5% cashback at restuarants with Freedom and Discover.  Then back to 3% on my Sam's Club mastercard and maybe $500 available a quarter for fast food with my Cash+.  Is there a better restaurants card out there -- one that offers 5% all-year?  I know Chase AARP offers 3% as well, but I'm looking for better.  Wish Discover and Freedom chose different quarters to offer the promotion. 

There's the Amex MBZ credit card. It's only 2x on restaurant BUT it also offers 3x on gas.

@Speaking of Amex its Hilton HHonors offers 5x pts on dining, groceries & gas although one must also factor in those points relative to spend @ Hilton properties. The AF version offers 6x pts. per... So basically any Hilton fans may want to take a closer look.

Yep. It's recommended to those that are die hard Hilton fans.. HHonors is only valued at .5 cents compared to MR or UR

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@Existentialist wrote:

@CarbonCard wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I redeem my points at a 41 cents each, that would level out to 2.46% on resturaunts for me Smiley Happy

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 13 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the us bank cash card gives you rotating 5% on restaurants, but they break up fast food and regular sit down, which is kind of annoying so you would have to use two of your 5% categories to cover both types of restaurants.

Regular dine-in is no longer a 5% category on Cash+; it's been downgraded to 2%. 

There're some other cards that you could try. Here's TMWC's charts for comparison.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Themanwhocan-Charts/m-p/3986754#M1118631

I stand corrected !!! I just use my CSP or freedom for restaurants and don't really think about it :-)

What about Discover?

recently discover and freedom have been over lapping , so 5x UR > 5% cashback for me. 

Is $1500 enough for 3 months of dining? 

Also I rent from Enterprise quite a bit and they don't have their weekend specials during summer. So Discover's $40-for-$20 certificates will come in handy. That'll put their 5% CB to 10% value, more than my current Chase UR valuation Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless there's some secret CU card out there, I think the best you're going to get on general dining is 3%.  The Cash+ 5% on fast food is the best for a specific dining category.  If only it was 5% for MCC 5813 (Bars/Taverns/etc.) Smiley Tongue

The one possible exception is the Security Service Power Travel Rewards card, which is 3.3x points per $.  However, your redemption options are limited: you're basically stuck with merchant gift cards or their specific travel platform to get 1¢/point (cash is something like .6¢/point).  And that means you can't compound your rewards, unlike a traditional cash-back card.

Depending on your restaurant spend there isn't a whole lot of compounding going on in a month (especially since cashback rewards don't get attributed till end of statement in some cases) though I agree point redemptions for same as cash giftcards aren't as attractive as cashback card.  Of course the ones I'd likely redeem for are already at 3 or 5% rewards coverage so no covering play.

End of the day I could use a better restaurant card, I would like one or two TU pulling CU's, and apparently according to their online tool I'm eligible so... /shrug.  I'll suck up the gift cards over the AARP card.  Wouldn't hurt to have a local account to TX if I wind up going back either.

        
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.