Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Restoring credit

Is it better for your FICO to keep credit cards that have been open for 14 years and have some minor dings or to open new ones which have a clean slate?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Re: Restoring credit

From what I have learned, I would keep the 14yr. old and make sure that the util. is between 1-9%.  As the dings age, they will not affect you as much.  There are some people on these forums with way more knowledge than me so i would wait for a few more responses.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by SpecFile on 08-21-2007 01:52 PM
Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

bara wrote:
Is it better for your FICO to keep credit cards that have been open for 14 years and have some minor dings or to open new ones which have a clean slate?

What kind of dings? How many? How old are they? What's the current util% on these cards.
Util% = CL/Balance: CC 5,000 CL, balance 1,500 = 30% util
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

bara wrote:

What kind of dings? How many? How old are they? What's the current util% on these cards.
Util% = CL/Balance: CC 5,000 CL, balance 1,500 = 30% util

I would think you would want to keep the TL since they are aged 14+ yrs. As far as what the dings are...if they are lates or accurate whatever...closing will not get rid of it and it will still be reported...
Message 4 of 5
ronq
Regular Contributor

keep the old ones. the dings only last for 7.5 years and your account age is a big factor in your score.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.