Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Results of App Spree

tag
sheaoaurus
Established Member

Results of App Spree

So, I turned 21 last Saturday, and after sitting on a Cap One ($750 CL) and BOA Secured ($500 CL) for three years, I decided to pull the trigger on a couple of cards. My utilization was 594/750 and 8/500, so about 47%.  I had two inquiries on Equifax from Charles Schwab and Hertz within the past 6 months and no inquiries on any other report in the last 6 months. I also have a student loan.  Myfico credit score was a measly 637 (probably due to high utilization, as both cards used to be maxed out, however the simulator said if both cards were paid off - I'd be sitting at 730+.

The first thing I did was call BOA and spoke to the secured department who picked my account and Experian report apart.  They increased my limit to $1000, then transferred me to a regular credit analyst who PC'd it to a Power Rewards 123 and bumped the limit upto $1500 (yay).

Then, after constantly being declined for Amex in the past, I pulled the trigger on the Zync. Wham! Approved.  I probably would have sworn Amex off had I not been approved.  Then I applied for the Delta Gold and immediately got denied, but then I called recon and it was being manually reviewed and I called yesterday and they said I was approved with a $1500 CL.  I think I'll sit on it for 6 months the PC to the Blue. For those of you guys who were wondering, even though I app'd for two Amexs in one day, it only counted as one inquiry on Experian. However, they did also pull TU and EQ (probably for the Delta Gold).

Then, I went over to Chase and applied for the Freedom. Got the 7 day message. Boo.  They checked my Experian.  I called and they said all they needed to verify was my address and I got approved with a $1000 limit. I also bank with Chase so maybe that helped?

Last but not least, I was off to Citi. Oh Citi... I've heard wonders about their great CLI. I app'd for the Citi Student Dividend card. Declined. Why? To many inquires.  If anyone is thinking of going on an app spree, apply for the Citi first!!! I called at least 20 times for recon and I swear they got annoyed with me.  Each of the reps must have been writing "Just tell this guy NO", in the comments section because after the 15th time they would pause after looking up my account. Then they would say "How.... can I help you." I would say I need to speak to a supervisor. Three separate supervisors declined me. After researching on here, I filed a complaint on PFB and will let you know guys know happens. THEY ARE NOT RECON FRIENDLY Smiley Sad

Back to gardening mode for the next year... or two!  I'm basically trying to get myself in the best possible position to apply for student loans without a cosigner should I need them!  I would have never been able to do any of this with these forums and everyone being so supportive. Thank you all!

MyFico Equifax 10?20 - 732

What's in my Wallet: Amex Zync | Amex BCP | Chase Freedom | Bank of America Power Rewards 123 | Banana Republic Visa | Capital One |
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Results of App Spree

@sheaoaurus wrote:

Last but not least, I was off to Citi. Oh Citi... I've heard wonders about their great CLI. I app'd for the Citi Student Dividend card. Declined. Why? To many inquires.  If anyone is thinking of going on an app spree, apply for the Citi first!!! I called at least 20 times for recon and I swear they got annoyed with me.  Each of the reps must have been writing "Just tell this guy NO", in the comments section because after the 15th time they would pause after looking up my account. Then they would say "How.... can I help you." I would say I need to speak to a supervisor. Three separate supervisors declined me. After researching on here, I filed a complaint on PFB and will let you know guys know happens. THEY ARE NOT RECON FRIENDLY Smiley Sad

So what was your argument for recon that prompted so many calls?

Message 2 of 5
sheaoaurus
Established Member

My argument was that my last two inquires were NOT for credit, but were for a car rental and a checking account.  The supervisors were not receptive to this and continued to say that their system was showing the Schwab inquiry as a bank credit card. So I am getting my banker at Schwab to compose a letter stating what the inquiry was and faxing that to them as well as a copy of my credit report on Monday.  I do not want anymore credit inquires for the next 1.5 years so I am going to be very persistent about this issue. 

What's in my Wallet: Amex Zync | Amex BCP | Chase Freedom | Bank of America Power Rewards 123 | Banana Republic Visa | Capital One |
Message 3 of 5
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

First off, congrats on your approvals! With citi, how many inqs did you have at the time?

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 5
sheaoaurus
Established Member

Thank you! Citi checked my Equifax. On that (not counting the Amex inquiry because it was 15 minutes prior) I had an inquiry in April for Herzt to rent a car and one in August for Charles Schwab. Way before that was an inquiry from last October for cell phone service. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.