Did you mean: 

Retail stores or banks that might go bye bye

tag
drewrico
New Contributor

Re: REATIL STORES OR BANKS THAT MIGHT GO BYE BYE

@thom02099 wrote:

@js0319 wrote:

If you want to get a store card - Amazon is the way to go. All of these businesses that are failing are doing so because they cannot react fast enough and create a strategy against Amazon. All of the stores mentioned are "showrooms" for Amazon.

+1 Amen to that !

What WalMart did to Mom-and-Pop shops all over the country, Amazon is doing to the "big box" retailers that don't have a strong on-line presense...which is most of them.  Best Buy?  Fugitaboutit!  They are toast, it's just a matter of time.  Like you said, they are the showroom for Amazon.

Its sort of shocking and sad to see how some american citizens can sit there and watch companies that have been around for years (sears- over a hundred years). 

Lets look into the future. Amazon puts best buy, sears, radioshack, etc out of business. everyone buys their electronics online. walmart; who is still carrying tvs, computers, phones, shows no profitability in the electronics departments so as a company stops carrying electronics. at this point, no one has a choice but to buy electronics on amazon/other online retailers. now amazon, as a company, sees that everyone is buying from their website and as a smart company raises all the prices of the electronics. no more savings on electronics. a couple years go by now amazon is carrying groceries, they mark groceries down to dirt cheap prices. now grocery stores who have more overhead than amazon cant compete with amazons grocery prices. kroger, piggly wiggly, others go out of business. now american citizens have no need to leave their house so everyone starts gaining weight and becomes obese. now that amazon owns the electronics and grocery markets they can jack the prices up on the groceries now. at this point, america is just a sad sad country and with everyone obese, no one can leave their house. this is where the movie wall-e starts. 

either way, american citizens need to get their heads out of their asses. its severely annoying. i dont know if everyone knows this but when amazon annoucned their q4 financials, they showed a 22% gain in sales, but yet a 45% drop in profits. they are not making money, they will not be able to do what they are doing anymore. either way best buy alone has 150,000 employees. if they go out of business, thats 150,000 people without jobs. is that good or not? i dont think it is but some of you may think its ok. 

post.

Message 21 of 30
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@drewrico wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@js0319 wrote:

If you want to get a store card - Amazon is the way to go. All of these businesses that are failing are doing so because they cannot react fast enough and create a strategy against Amazon. All of the stores mentioned are "showrooms" for Amazon.

+1 Amen to that !

What WalMart did to Mom-and-Pop shops all over the country, Amazon is doing to the "big box" retailers that don't have a strong on-line presense...which is most of them.  Best Buy?  Fugitaboutit!  They are toast, it's just a matter of time.  Like you said, they are the showroom for Amazon.

Its sort of shocking and sad to see how some american citizens can sit there and watch companies that have been around for years (sears- over a hundred years). 

Lets look into the future. Amazon puts best buy, sears, radioshack, etc out of business. everyone buys their electronics online. walmart; who is still carrying tvs, computers, phones, shows no profitability in the electronics departments so as a company stops carrying electronics. at this point, no one has a choice but to buy electronics on amazon/other online retailers. now amazon, as a company, sees that everyone is buying from their website and as a smart company raises all the prices of the electronics. no more savings on electronics. a couple years go by now amazon is carrying groceries, they mark groceries down to dirt cheap prices. now grocery stores who have more overhead than amazon cant compete with amazons grocery prices. kroger, piggly wiggly, others go out of business. now american citizens have no need to leave their house so everyone starts gaining weight and becomes obese. now that amazon owns the electronics and grocery markets they can jack the prices up on the groceries now. at this point, america is just a sad sad country and with everyone obese, no one can leave their house. this is where the movie wall-e starts. 

either way, american citizens need to get their heads out of their asses. its severely annoying. i dont know if everyone knows this but when amazon annoucned their q4 financials, they showed a 22% gain in sales, but yet a 45% drop in profits. they are not making money, they will not be able to do what they are doing anymore. either way best buy alone has 150,000 employees. if they go out of business, thats 150,000 people without jobs. is that good or not? i dont think it is but some of you may think its ok. 

post.

Sorry, but I don't buy in to the idea that we, the consumer, have an obligation to keep businesses in business because of history or tradition.  Sears is in the predicament they are in due to their own fault.  Their stores are tired looking, their merchandise is spotty at best.  Yes, they have Craftsman and Diehard and Kenmore brand names, and these were formerly quality products.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Want to buy clothing at Sears?  Their selection, at least in this area of the country, sucks.

Best Buy?  I've bought from them and would continue to buy from them...if they had in their stores what I wanted to buy.  Over Christmas, I wanted to buy an electronic keyboard for my daugther for a present. I looked on line at Best Buy, they had several name brands that interested me.  So I went to one of the stores...not in stock.  Nothing similar in stock.  Went to another Best Buy...same thing.  Third Best Buy? Yup, same thing. At that point I was extremely frustrated and went to Sam's Club.  They had IN STOCK what I was looking for, a product that I could touch and try out.  And I bought it.  Had the first Best Buy been stocked with any electronic keyboard, I likely would have bought it.  But they didn't have it. 

THIS is why these stores are struggling and may go out of business.  They don't provide what the consumer is looking for in their retail stores.  They WANT you to go on line and buy from their on line store options.

I was a HUGE fan of Circuit City, bought all my electronics from them up until just before they announced they were closing down. Literally within a week from that announcement, I bought a LCD TV from them, because I could go in the store, try it out/take a look, and leave with the product in hand.  It sucks that this is changing.  It sucks that Amazon is taking business away from "traditional" stores.  But the "traditional" stores aren't meeting the needs of the consumers, so we have to go elsewhere...whether we like it or not. 

Personally, I'd sort of like to see some of them survive.  Guess it's memories of Woolworths and their soda fountains, that creates a longing for days gone by...

Message 22 of 30
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

The markets speak! 

Realities change. Consumer behavior shifts. Those who do not adapt or who deny the change will perish. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 23 of 30
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@drewrico wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@js0319 wrote:

+1 Amen to that !

post.

Such a positive post!  (Irony, just in case you didn't realize it!)  Some of us don't want things online just so we can sit at home and become obese!  Some of us want it because it saves us time we can then later use for better things.  Some of these things could be; spending more time with our friends or families, going to sporting events, studying, and we can now insert any other reason which makes our quality of life better here as a reason! 

150,000 people without jobs?  This means that Amazon gets more business and doesn't have to hire new workers to take care of such a demand? 

Mom and Pop stores are great!  But what about costs?  Can a Mom and Pop store buy in a larger quantity to offer us a good price?  By paying more there it means we put less people to work through the savings we could get and simply buy more goods and put other people to work!  Having more money to spend on things we also want to buy is an advantage!  It means we spend more and our quality of life becomes better!  Spending more means more people are put to work; means this is also better for the economy!  Not all Mom and Pop stores are entrepreneurial and only exist as a matter of themselves making money.  They will always exist where there is a market for them and in that spirit they will find a place to be!  But many of them simply were the forerunners of big stores, it is just a natural progression! 

What happened to Wards, which many people liked?  What was the beginning of Sears, which many people still like?  Do we claim that Sears put Mom and Pop stores out of business or do we claim they provided a catalog which had lower prices and gave us more money to spend?

Besides the fact that now the online stores will have a lower price in most situations and as demand increases they will need add more employees, there are other effects.  The delivery companies will need more employees to handle the increase in business, which means hiring.  These people who get hired will have an opportunity to shop and spend and increase jobs again.  You might state that they will be paid less, but in turn the products will be less, so they would be able to afford the same at a lower salary. 

Does it help the planet?  It means we have to drive less and can spend more time within our community doing things.  Less driving means less pollution.  Yeah the delivery vehicles will increase, but per capita the pollution will decrease, so don't even try and claim that as a pollution factor!  Less cars on the road to go out and go shopping means less congestion and less accidents.  (This will save injury or death costs.) 

I see this as a win-win situation.  Even if it means in many instances we still want to touch our products, that avenue will exist.  It might mean we have to pay more for it and for those that want to pay more, sure go ahead and do so!  I know in some situations I will want to still touch more and have the shopping experience, but I also won't force that personal opinion on others.  If they are happy not touching thier product, fine by me, more power to them!  If the product is crappy and they return it, it will mean that the company will respond or lose out.  Returning becomes easier and easier.  Now all we have to do is drop it off at a mail box, not go out to do so!  We don't have to sacrifice as much time to do so!  Ever make the excuse that you simply didn't want to have the hassle of going back to the store to do so because you didn't want to waste the time?  Now that excuse does not exist as all you have to do is put it in the mail!  Ever just simply go back to the store anyway taking time out of your day to do so?  Been late to your sons game because of it?

I will take the approach that my time is valuable and if I can buy it online and save time which I can devote to other things more enjoyable I will.  I will spend it in my community, doing things that means my community becomes better!  Go ahead and be unhappy about Mom and Pop stores closing!  As I spend more time in my local community I will let the other Mom and Pop stores come into existence to service my local needs better!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 24 of 30
lithium78
Established Contributor

I typically buy discount instead of retail, because, let's face it, all the prices are going up, but wages aren't and I still have needs and wants.  As a capitalist, I want to get my products at the best possible price and since I can buy them online from Amazon or Target.com without paying shipping and I get a significant discount, why wouldn't I buy them there instead of Sears or JC Penney?  All the businesses cry foul when the customer participates in capitalism.  Sorry, it's nothing personal.  Just business.

This is just a change in the way America purchases goods.  I'm sure a lot of businesses were upset back in the old days when Sears & Roebuck began to sell things by catalog.  You adapt or your business dies.  That is the way life goes.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 30
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

I typically buy discount instead of retail, because, let's face it, all the prices are going up, but wages aren't and I still have needs and wants.  As a capitalist, I want to get my products at the best possible price and since I can buy them online from Amazon or Target.com without paying shipping and I get a significant discount, why wouldn't I buy them there instead of Sears or JC Penney?  All the businesses cry foul when the customer participates in capitalism.  Sorry, it's nothing personal.  Just business.

This is just a change in the way America purchases goods.  I'm sure a lot of businesses were upset back in the old days when Sears & Roebuck began to sell things by catalog.  You adapt or your business dies.  That is the way life goes.

+1

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 26 of 30
drewrico
New Contributor

another one of my posts horribly misread. amazon growing in business can provide 150,000 more jobs? no... plus amazon is a terrible company to work for. either way it goes, there is zero reason to buy from amazon compared to best buy. im comparing best buy because its the company im most familiar with. best buy price matches amazon, so no amazon does not have cheaper prices. plus if you look on amazons website, the "regular prices" they advertise are completely incrrect, giving you the illusion that you are saving a mass amount of money. 

http://www.smartmoney.com/static_html_files/smartmoney/smIntro.html?page=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smartmoney...

at some point, yes amazon will turn into a monopoly. american citizens are idiots, example rap music. amazon is the equivalent to rap music.

Message 27 of 30
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

hmmmmmmm^^^^^ good point!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 28 of 30
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@drewrico wrote:

another one of my posts horribly misread. amazon growing in business can provide 150,000 more jobs? no... plus amazon is a terrible company to work for. either way it goes, there is zero reason to buy from amazon compared to best buy. im comparing best buy because its the company im most familiar with. best buy price matches amazon, so no amazon does not have cheaper prices. plus if you look on amazons website, the "regular prices" they advertise are completely incrrect, giving you the illusion that you are saving a mass amount of money. 

http://www.smartmoney.com/static_html_files/smartmoney/smIntro.html?page=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smartmoney...

at some point, yes amazon will turn into a monopoly. american citizens are idiots, example rap music. amazon is the equivalent to rap music.

As an idiot I guess that is why I misread your post.  As you pointed out 'another of my posts horribly misread' must mean that other idiots have misread your posts before.  (I wonder how many times and by how many idiots.)  As an idiot who got a 3.4 in my BA from a private business school and a 3.95 in my MBA degree I must say that I am not offended at all with such implications.  As an idiot I misread all the negativity in the post about the company and how this will result in fat lazy Americans.  As an idiot I misread a lot of it I guess, but as an idiot I will forget it all soon anyway. 

I won't forget that I just purchased something from Amazon, because it did have the lowest price.  I won't forget that I shopped around a lot faster than if I had to visit multiple physical stores to find the best price.  I even tried to bargain with the company direct to get them to offer the price at Amazon.  I guess I was an idiot for doing that too. 

As an idiot I can't understand the analogy of Amazon being rap music or how Amazon will become a monopoly.  As an idiot I can't understand why places like eBay, Wards, Meijers, Macy's, Drugstore.com, Pet Smart, and others will simply just step out of the way to let Amazon take over their market share without making sure they try everything possible to stay in existence. 

Thanks for the information.  I now need to resign my position as a Business instructor and get a new Master's Degree, after all I don't think my University wants an idiot teaching for them or will want to give the promotion to head of my department they planned.  Oh I kept making a mistake in this, from reading your post I now know amazon has an "a" at the beginning, not an "A".  Thanks for point out that american (not American) citizens are idiots.

Message 29 of 30
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Economically this is very bad news because Brick and Mortar stores employ many more people than online based stores, Best Buy alone has many more employees than Amazon.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.