Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Bonuses

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Retention Bonuses

How many of you try and have exceeded in acquiring retention bonuses from your credit cards with annual fees? Even simply if they have waived the fee for you!

I thought this would be a great forum to have, so if so, please fill out the following:

Bank:

Card:

Annual Spend:

Call in before or after AF hit:

Bonus:

A great resource: http://travelsort.com/blog/10-tips-retention-bonus-offers

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Retention Bonuses

@jenn_bar wrote:

How many of you try and have exceeded in acquiring retention bonuses from your credit cards with annual fees? Even simply if they have waived the fee for you!

I thought this would be a great forum to have, so if so, please fill out the following:

Bank:Citi

Card: AA Plat Select

Annual Spend: About $0

Call in before or after AF hit: Several months before

Bonus:$95 credit after 5 purchases of any amount

A great resource: http://travelsort.com/blog/10-tips-retention-bonus-offers

Message 2 of 3
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: Retention Bonuses

Bank: Amex

Card:  Green Charge Card

Annual Spend: $833 so far this year

Call in before or after AF hit: 4 Months before

Bonus: None

Called up customer service late last night  and (talked to a rep who had some sort of accent but wasn't from india, maybe asia? Spoke prefect english and was able to understand) asked for some membership rewards points to help offset the annual fee and was told there was no offer on my account at this time and when on about all the benefits of my card.

Called again a few minutes ago and called up Membership Rewards Department, (nice thing is there in the United States) and asked for some membership rewards to offset the annual fee and at first the rep did not understand me becasue she said i would have to have enough rewards to cover the fee and i was like no I know you can't waive my annual fee or remove it forever off my account but could i get some membership rewards points as a retention bonus of sorts and she then said that from time to time they may send out notifications about how i can earn more points. She did go a lil further than the customer service rep last night, she said how i could switch to the Traditional Green Charge card and have no membership rewards but pay $55 annual fee, or apply for the Blue from American Express or to earn cash back apply for one of their Blue Cash cards. She said how there is no app needed to switch to the traditional green card and i asked if i have to wait to switch and she said i could change at anytime!

I know i haven't had my card awhile and don't spend alot like other people who have their charge cards, so I'm just trying to push boundries and challenge limits of what can be done. I've been doing it all along with my other accounts and most times i got lucky and other times i wasn't so lucky. It's a way for me to continue to learn about my credit and getting the most out of it!

I do like my charge card because not only did it get me in with Amex, but I don't have to worry as much about a credit limit within reason, I certinally won't go charging $10,000 anytime soon but not too long ago i checked spending ability and put in $1,300 and it said i was approved, so that was nice to know. LOL

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.