Did you mean: 

Retiring Amex BCE?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Retiring Amex BCE?

@john398 wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:
Sallie Mae considers Walmart a grocery store. If in doubt, google "visa mcc search" and look up your local walmart. Visa and MC use the same merchant category codes.

Amex considers Walmart Neighborhood Market a grocery store.

so in effect I could but gift cards for walmart super center at my smaller Neighborhood Market?

Technically, yes, you could.

Message 11 of 18
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Was there discussion with AMEX about why the Walmart was giving the 3%?

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 12 of 18
dearppl
Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Sallie Mae considers Walmart a grocery store. If in doubt, google "visa mcc search" and look up your local walmart. Visa and MC use the same merchant category codes.

Amex considers Walmart Neighborhood Market a grocery store.

That seems to be the case. I looked at my old Amex statements, and I was indeed getting 1% at walmart supercenter and 3% at neighborhood stores.

Message 13 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Walmart uses multiple MCC. This is store dependant.

My local Walmart for example, categorize themselves as discount store. Walmart store across two towns a far categorize themselves as grocery store.

So if your AMEX doesn't see Walmart as grocery store, there is a chance that Salie card won't either.

Message 14 of 18
newUser0
Established Contributor

Apply Blue Cash 5% on everything Gas, Grocery, and Pharmacy. Unlimited..

Message 15 of 18
UnknownDepths

I get 5% at Walmart with Sallie Mae(grocery) but only 1% with BCE(discount store). Tried this at 3-4 stores and they are all this way in where I live(western PA). 

Chase CSP 6200| Discover 1500| Citi Forward 2400| Sallie Mae 2900| Amex Green| BoA BBR 900| US Bank 500|
Message 16 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

Apply Blue Cash 5% on everything Gas, Grocery, and Pharmacy. Unlimited..

My favorite card, but need to include "after initial $6,500 per year", and it would run into the same Walmart Superstore problem.

Message 17 of 18
asulaw
Established Member

This is because Walmart is not considered a grocery store in the eyes of Amex, period. They want something like Safeway, or Krogers (but I think I read somewhere at one time that was a problem too?). I think it is stupid because I do a lot of my shopping at Target, and again they don't consider it a grcoery store just department. 

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.