Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned Payment Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Returned Payment Question

So, I made a payment on my PRG card on July 24th and I failed to double check the avaibility of the funds that I had transferred.

Well, the withdrawal from my account was rejected because apparently the funds that I deposited on July 18th will not be fully available until the August 1st. Needless to say that I was quite surprised at the hold that Cap1 360 placed on the deposit. 

AMEX already applied a $27 returned payment fee to my account Smiley Sad 

I'm quite hopeful, however, that since my autopay isn't set until August 14th that AMEX will possibly wait until at least August 1st to make a second attempt at withdrawing the funds. I'm really hoping to avoid more fees and a potential late payment mark on my credit score. 

So, has anyone else here had to sort out any payment issues like this before? Will AMEX try to withdraw funds very soon again after the first failed attempt? 

QUICK NOTE: I tried to pay off my entire balance on the same date but on my Chase card. Only difference being that there hasn't been a fee applied to the Chase account yet.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Returned Payment Question

In my experience, you can't rely on anyone not to re-process a failed payment right away.  My advice is to contact the deposit bank, and work up the chain to get the funds credited more quickly. I've been able to get multiple banks to jump through hoops to credit deposits more quickly than their stated window to handle situations like this.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Returned Payment Question

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I made a payment on my PRG card on July 24th and I failed to double check the avaibility of the funds that I had transferred.

Well, the withdrawal from my account was rejected because apparently the funds that I deposited on July 18th will not be fully available until the August 1st. Needless to say that I was quite surprised at the hold that Cap1 360 placed on the deposit. 

AMEX already applied a $27 returned payment fee to my account Smiley Sad 

I'm quite hopeful, however, that since my autopay isn't set until August 14th that AMEX will possibly wait until at least August 1st to make a second attempt at withdrawing the funds. I'm really hoping to avoid more fees and a potential late payment mark on my credit score. 

So, has anyone else here had to sort out any payment issues like this before? Will AMEX try to withdraw funds very soon again after the first failed attempt? 

QUICK NOTE: I tried to pay off my entire balance on the same date but on my Chase card. Only difference being that there hasn't been a fee applied to the Chase account yet.

I'm not sure how Capital One 360 works, but most checking accounts have a "funds" and "funds avaliable for use" section when you log in to your account. I used to be like you and overdraft all the time, but have only had one or two returned payments. I've learned to just log every transaction into a transaction register that comes with checkbooks, or you can buy them individually (without checks) on Amazon. Once you log every "real" transaction in, i.e: those that have occured but didn't show up digitially yet, and those that have cleared and haven't cleared (such as deposits put on hold), it should be much easier to track your money and avoid situations like this, trust me.

I would call or chat with an AMEX rep and see if you can get the late fee waived. Just tell them it's your bank's fault. I'm sure they'll show some compassion for you... I did it before with Discover and they had no problem reversing the fee. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.